Pawnee Winter Run n' Gun - 2016

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Except for the inaugural event at Thunderbird, I have used an Aimpoint red dot. Started with the H-1, then an M-4. Now I want to go back to an H-1/T-1. I did try a 3x magnifier behind the M-4 once and decided it wasn't going to work for me.
I liked being able to "see" better with the magnifier at distance, but the lack of stadia lines or other reference marks meant hold overs were still an issue beyond 400 yards with a full length barrel. That setup on a 10.x inch barrel was even more of a hassle in that regard.
Variable optics; like Nick said, have less forgiving eye boxes making less than ideal positions a challenge to find the proper eye relief. The best I have used in that respect was the Elcan Spectre 1/4. Huge exit pupil and a good BDC. The problem with it is the weight, size and the questionable scope mount/adjustment. Plus, they are expensive and I am not super impressed with their CS.

I suspect I will try other variables in the future; for certain situations, but a good re dot is hard to beat when you dont have to worry about PID at distance.

Surveyor1653

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
4X Primary Arms prismatic for 5.56/5.45/.308 with the ACSS reticle. They no longer make the 4X for those calibers. Instead, they now offer the ACSS calibrated for those chamberings in a 5X model.

I went 1 for 1 on every rifle target. That reticle is the boss. I really wanted to test drive the reticle because Primary worked out a drug deal with Trijicon to get it into a TA31 model. Now that I've proven the reticle in the RNG as well as out to 600 on the range, I just have to see if that particular model of ACOG is available on the pro deal now that the new year has rolled over.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I noticed most people were running optics. I don't have any at the moment but am considering one. If you care to share what kind of optic you are running, please post here and tell me what you got. If there are any particular pros or cons about what you are running, say that too. Thanks.

Aimpoint red dot here as well, for every event except last weekend when I tried to run a Mauser.

Always shot very well with the Aimpoint on every stage except the 500 but that was more a factor of never shooting it at 500 until the match (2nd place in shoot score at '14 Winter match). Cleaned the 400 stage at Thumderbird in '13 by flipping up my BUIS and using irons. My son got 2 of 3 hits on the 500 with a Primary Arms knock off T-1...

I'm resolved to staying unmagnified until I can clean the whole match without a DNF.

Matt in TN

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great Vid Matt, but your choice of music leaves a lot to be desired.

Hahahaha - I knew this was coming! Would you prefer some nice Kenny G? Or maybe some old school Public Enemy?

Would be better if you showed the complete shooting stages though IMO.

Too funny - I was worried 4 or 5 minutes would be too long, and people would get bored and turn it off. I was also a little worried about showing off TOO many of your evil secrets...

As to the scope question, I shoot a Leupold VX-HOG 1-4 power and have been thrilled with it for around $200. I've got about 2,000rds through it on my FAL and it's still holding zero just fine. Full review is here: http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=364941

There are no doubt better scopes for more money, but they also come with more weight and complexity. The Hog weighs only 8.1oz. Yes - the FAL guy talking about lightweight stuff is ironic. I save all my weight for ammo!!!

BlueandCold

Marksman
Reaction score
Shakyhand rightfully sent me my trophy and I thought I'd share:

i902.photobucket.com_albums_ac224_mcstennett_IMG_2354_zpsnxnbfeau.jpg

I trained literally twice as hard this year, cut 16 minutes off my time, and STILL only moved up one place in the ranks. It is clear I'm going to have to step up my game to compete with you guys!

Here's this year's match video - I got some complaints that last year's was too short, so I added a little more footage this time. Maybe it'll talk someone else into trying it next year:

Well I have some news for you. You probably moved up more than 1 place, but probably not enough to get into a trophy slot. If you are the Matt currently ranked #7, the #6 shooter has a "0.00" time for bonus stage II that gives him 100% for that stage. Assuming that the 0.00 min is incorrect you probably were really #6 or better.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I run a SWFA 1-6, has FFP. Really nice optic, has seen 6 Run and guns now. It has target turrents but they have caps also. I'd recommend to know your hold overs as far as subtentions rather than mess with turrents. Make sure to look for a capped scope as turrents are known to get moved while carrying.

You can get the APP iSrelok and be able to know all hold overs. Makes things easy. I shot 3 for 3 at 500 and hadn't shot over 200 yards in practice.

Also it obviously helps to have an accurate rifle, don't skimp on ammo it makes a big dif if you are shooting small groups as you miss small at range.

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-HD-1-6x24-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P53845.aspx

hamiltoe

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I too would like to say good job to all the RO's and many thanks to the landowners and all the volunteers. This was my first event and I will definitely will be back. Was on the wait list but came out to see if I could get in, and did, but was a little freaked out at first when she assigned me the first slot in the 10K. Now I just need to work some on my shooting. Definitely some good, fast shooters in the crowd.

This was also my first run and I too was given the 1st slot in the 5K. Now that I have a baseline, I have some goals to strive for on the next one. I'm looking forward to it!

Def very competitive this go round. Truthfully I didn't train at all, didn't hardly shoot either. I at least know at my zero fitness level I can still shoot and function on the course.

I was comparing the winter 2015 5K run times to 2016. The average time in 2015 was 89 minutes. This year, the average time was 75 minutes. That's quite an improvement! So, I would say that it has definitely gotten more competitive.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've used a Leupold VX-R Patrol in the 1.25x-4x version, A Milliet DMR in the 1-4x version and this time I used a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x. All worked good. As with any setup, make sure you train with it in conditions that simulate the stages prior to shooting the match.

I have used several different optics in the Run n Guns and have settled on a Nikon .223 scope with the circles for yardage in the scope. I tried a "dial in the range" scope on one of the runs and it was a disaster because I kept bumping it around and losing my zero while running. The circles don't line up perfectly at 500 yards but close enough. Mine is a 3x9. That is plenty of low magnification and plenty on the high end too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom