Pawnee Winter Run 'n Gun - Jan. 18, 2014 - Pawnee, OK - Sign up now!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrgutier

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gear?

I got guns. I got holsters and QD slings. Thats about it? Aside from a tac vest, what else do I need to buy for this run? Want some kind of list I can be a lookout for Black Friday/Cyber Monday. I'm non-military so I have no clue how to dress or what to expect.

Surveyor1653

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A way to safely and securely carry your pistol is a must. Beyond that you just need a way to carry your mags for rifle and pistol so they aren't lost. Remember this is a cross-country event so you'll be dealing with terrain, obstacles, and veg. An old set of GI H or Y suspenders, pistol belt, and pouches and you're good. These events are an excellent way to field test whatever gear you decide on. There's really no need to buy out the HSGI or Voodoo Tactical catalog. Start small and work into what works best for you. You'll also get to see A LOT of gear configurations that will give you plenty of ideas.

NOTE on a critical piece of kit: Know the ACTUAL dope on your rifle and ammo out to at least 400m.

Last edited:

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Gear?

I got guns. I got holsters and QD slings. Thats about it? Aside from a tac vest, what else do I need to buy for this run? Want some kind of list I can be a lookout for Black Friday/Cyber Monday. I'm non-military so I have no clue how to dress or what to expect.

Like Surveyor said, you don't need a lot. Something to secure your pistol, magazines, and water...lots of folks saw the importance of that on the last run n' gun (me included, especially the water).

Dress for the mission, or more importantly dress for your mission. If you are treating it like a competition and want to smoke it as fast as you can...then cross country running gear/minimalist might work. If you are treating it as a "Second Amendment" situation, like the organizers originally envisioned, then wear what you would have available if the balloon went up and you had to grab your rifle and move out! One thing is for certain, you will see a bunch of different configurations...and zero judgement. Game it or train it, it's all up to you, and it's all beneficial.

Definitely try to get a good dope on your rifle at 400, but if you don't have a chance don't let that stop you. Lots of us had never fired at 400, some of us got our hits and others didn't. It was a great experience.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All good advice - about water, gear, know your rifle dope - out to 500 yards. And footwear - take care of your feet- this is roughly 6.6 miles, a pair of thin liner socks will help you prevent blisters. Don't use this event to "break in" a new pair of boots/shoes - your feet will pay the price.

jrgutier

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice. Another Q for a newbie.

So I'm trying to get ready and am walking around my house with my rifle attached to me via a Magpul MS3 sling. I am muzzling my legs like crazy if I keep my rifle in front. I really don't want to be doing that while running, and keeping it to the side is very awkward regarding balance. Do I just accept this, like I do when I muzzle myself when I holster/unholster my pistol while carrying IWB?

Latest posts

Top Bottom