Pawnee Winter Run 'n Gun - Jan. 18, 2014 - Pawnee, OK - Sign up now!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice. Another Q for a newbie.

So I'm trying to get ready and am walking around my house with my rifle attached to me via a Magpul MS3 sling. I am muzzling my legs like crazy if I keep my rifle in front. I really don't want to be doing that while running, and keeping it to the side is very awkward regarding balance. Do I just accept this, like I do when I muzzle myself when I holster/unholster my pistol while carrying IWB?

Dominant hand on the pistol grip, other dominant hand on the hand guard. Switch positions as necessary.
Sling the weapon across your back if you need both hands free.
some people recommend a bungee somewhere around waist level to tuck the barrel through combined with cinching the sling tight to your chest.

Also, do you carry appendix on that iwb?

Last edited:

Surveyor1653

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sweeping yourself while moving from stage to stage shouldn't be an issue from a safety standpoint (The rules! The rules! I know....). You'll show a clear rifle when you approach each stage, and again when you leave to proceed to the next. As long as you haven't inserted a mag while moving between stages (which will get you DQ'ed, by the way) you are good. At least, that's the way it was done at the RNG back in July. Your primary concern will be comfort and control while moving. TK will have better, more up-to-date, info than that if something has changed.

Last edited:

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I'm trying to get ready and am walking around my house with my rifle attached to me via a Magpul MS3 sling. I am muzzling my legs like crazy if I keep my rifle in front.

It's personal choice, but I don't like being strapped into my rifle, especially when I may have to switch-hit and/or navigate obstacles. I prefer a cinchable VCAS or VTAC two point.

Flagging your own legs while running with a slung rifle? Is your weapon hanging straight down? If it is, I'd be more worried about nutting myself than flagging my legs LOL.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A detailed course of fire for the Run 'n Gun has been posted on the website: http://www.okrunngun.com/node/6

We have some very fun stages planned for y'all. Also, we have plenty of slots left... I know all of you who signed up have a shooting buddy or two that would enjoy doing this with you. Get them signed up! The more shooters there are, the more fun it is for everybody (and the better the prizes will be)!

Here is the COF:

Stage 1 – Awkwardness: The target will be a 10” plate at approximately 100 yards. Using your rifle, you must get one hit on the target through each hole of a VTAC board (9 holes total). This stage is designed to force you to shoot from awkward positions. One reload must be performed during this stage. Time limit: 4 minutes.

Stage 2 – Surprise: When you reach this stage, you will lay your rifle down at the position the RO indicates, and move onto the firing position marked with an X. There will be a silhouette target about 5 feet in front of you. When the stage begins, you must draw your pistol, move off the X, and fire 5 rounds at the silhouette target WHILE MOVING along the marked pathway to the next designated firing position. Shots fired while the shooter is standing still will not count. From the next marked firing position you will have to get three hits on a 12” pistol target while leaning around the right side of the tree firing right handed, and three hits while firing around the left side of the tree firing left handed. You will then proceed to your rifle, load it, and get two hits on each of five 8” plates that are scattered through the woods from 25 to 35 yards away. Time limit: 4 minutes.

Stage 3 – Winter War Sniper: This stage will test your effectiveness at controlling the “Rifleman’s Quarter Mile.” You must get 3 hits on a 20” head-and-shoulders target at approximately 500 yards. The terrain at the firing position will allow you to get prone. Hits will be indicated by a flashing strobe. Time limit: 4 minutes.

Stage 4 – War of the Rats: This is a “battlefield pickup” stage. Before you start, you will be given a clip of rifle ammo. When the stage begins, you will have to crawl under a barbed wire obstacle to a Mosin-Nagant M91/30 rifle, load it with the provided ammo, and get one hit on each of two 12”x18” steel plates at approximately 200 yards. You will be firing prone from underneath the barbed wire. Time limit: 4 minutes.

Stage 5 – The Slaughtering Hole: For this stage, you will need to have a rifle magazine loaded with only two rounds of ammo. The RO will check your magazine before you begin. When the stage begins, you will move to the firing position with your rifle. Your target is an 8” plate located across a pond at approximately 50 yards. You must first engage this target with your rifle, firing through a barrel with a hole cut in the bottom. When you have fired both rounds and your rifle is empty, you must transition to your pistol. If you didn’t get both hits with your rifle, you will have to get the hit(s) on that target with your pistol instead, firing from the marked position next to the barrel. You will then be required to get 3 hits on each of three 12” targets across the pond at approximately 50 yards with your pistol. Time limit: 4 minutes.

Stage 6 – Resupply Run/Hold the Hill: Stage 6 is located on top of a large burial mound. At the base of the mound in a well-marked location will be some ammo cans. You must carry an ammo can up the mound with you to stage 6. You cannot begin this stage until you deliver the ammo can. When the stage begins, you must get three hits on each of three 12x18” targets. One target will be at approximately 100 yards, one will be at approximately 200 yards, and the other will be at approximately 300 yards. The terrain will allow you to shoot prone. Time limit: 4 minutes.

Total ammo required for this event with 100% hits: 33 rifle, 20 pistol.

Latest posts

Top Bottom