Pellet gun for backyard

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon3830

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
don't buy into the FPS ratings if you want something that will kill and be accurate I have found staying below 1000 FPS is the way to go, I bought a crosman venom .177 for well under 100.00 and I took it apart and did some trigger work on it put better quality seals in it and I can kill rabbits out to 100 yards and the starlings steer clear of my house now. also I wouldn't buy a spring type because I have been shooting a friends nitro piston rifle and I like it more so I probably going to a .25 with a nitro piston.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
don't buy into the FPS ratings if you want something that will kill and be accurate I have found staying below 1000 FPS is the way to, I bought a crosman venom .177 for well under 100.00 and I took it apart and did some trigger work on it put better quality seals in it and I can kill rabbits out to 100 yards and the starlings steer clear of my house now. also I wouldn't buy a spring type because I have been shooting a friends nitro piston rifle and I like it more so I probably going to a .25 with a nitro piston.

How does that nitro piston cock? Bolt handle or break barrel?

jfssms

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nitro Pistons are break barrel, my .22 NP2 is factory rated at 950fps with lead pellets, my chronograph shows 820-830 with 14.3gr pellets.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not a fan of break barrels.

It doesn't take many cocks and the barrel starts getting some slack into it. With the scope on the receiver, the accuracy goes away. We bought some at the Power plant to shoot pigeons. Couple hundred rounds later, you couldn't hit a 5 gallon barrel at 30 yds.

jfssms

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My NP isn't very old probably only 100 or so rounds fired, I do have a .177 Gamo break barrel springer that is 8-10 years old, it has many hundred rounds fired through it and is still very accurate.

dc4ou

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have killed 100s of squirrels with my Benjamin .177 It is illegal in the city limits. I have an old rifle that shoots 22 shorts that is quieter, however I think the police are going to take shooting a 22 much more serious than a pellet gun. My Benjamin will take 8 pumps, however I have never pumped it more than 5 times. It will drop a squirrel out of the tree with one shot (using pointed pellets). I have dropped several crows with that gun too. I love the Benjamins.

Raoul Duke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Somewhere in the stillborn state of Sequoyah
I have killed 100s of squirrels with my Benjamin .177. My Benjamin will take 8 pumps, however I have never pumped it more than 5 times. It will drop a squirrel out of the tree with one shot (using pointed pellets). I have dropped several crows with that gun too. I love the Benjamins.

A benji 392(.22 cal) pumper with 14.3 grain pellets will anchor squirrels and do pretty impressive damage(for what it is) with headshots, fwiw.

Latest posts

Top Bottom