Pellet gun for backyard

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmer17

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have had many pellet guns over the years and this is what I've learned:

A single shot pellet gun is like a single shot .22, pretty boring.
A powerful pellet gun is about as loud as a .22 short so your not accomplishing much at trying to be quiet.
I have probably spilled twice as many pellets on the ground over the years than I have ever shot.

The last pellet gun I bought was a S&W 6" barrel .177 CO2 revolver that used 10 shot revolving magazines. I bought 5 extra magazines and 50 rounds was almost exactly what I could fire on one CO2 cartridge. It had a nice feel and good single action trigger but the double action wasn't anything great. It was quite accurate and had decent power for a handgun and I really enjoyed it. My pool had many big toads that would come to visit at night and they would leave big turds everywhere so I would go out at night with the pellet pistol and hold a flashlight "police style" and shoot 10 or 20 toads. It was a great gun but once I jammed a pellet between the barrel and cylinder and tried to take the gun apart and several little springs flew out and I could never get them back in right.

okbishop

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Umarex Fusion, it used 2 12gram CO2. It was good at first but it's pretty Hokey to get it to work after a few CO2 changes. I am wanting to get a new Air rifle, What's a good one.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I live outside the city limits though it's still pretty much a residential area. My neighbors seem to add more dogs to their collection weekly and the animals run the streets, chase me on the lawnmower, and basically are a menace to the surrounding houses. Though I would take great pleasure in disposing of these dogs permanently, the outcome wouldn't be worth the trouble. I'm thinking I need a full-auto airsoft gun to throw out a ribbon of plastic pellets on these useless mutts. After hearing them barking yet again outside my window in the middle of the night, yes, I'll think I'll be shopping for airsoft guns very soon.

Garrett

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Crossman 2240 .22. It`s accurate and affordable.

http://www.crosman.com/2240-pistol-22

i.imgur.com_tDJJFul.jpg

wolfkpr

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think they caution on the Super Colibre box about not using them in long guns as they might stick in the barrel, I use .22 short CB rounds for quiet pest control out of a long gun. successful on varmints up past 50 lbs if placement is perfect. noise level varies with barrel length, very quiet in tehlong barreled single shot.. and yes the old crossman 1377 is rabbit capable..

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not a fan of break barrels.

It doesn't take many cocks and the barrel starts getting some slack into it. With the scope on the receiver, the accuracy goes away. We bought some at the Power plant to shoot pigeons. Couple hundred rounds later, you couldn't hit a 5 gallon barrel at 30 yds.

Are you saying that's bad? maybe I need to do a little more practicing...

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where did you find this Aquila Super Colibra 22LR ? I couldn't even find it online.
I just picked some up at academy on 240. I have a few boxes of this stuff. It is powderless if this is the one you are talking about. It hardly makes a sound when fired. Perfect for a single shot. It is what I usually use in my sons rascal.

Latest posts

Top Bottom