Plasma Cutter - recommendations?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thinking about buying a plasma cutter. Does anyone have experience with using these?

I want something that will cut .75” and severe over an inch.

I’m leaning towards Thermal Dynamics based on a friends recommendation but I would like some more opinions.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That’s a serious cutter you’re looking for if you want to cut 3/4” up to 1”. I have a Hypertherm PowerMax, but it’s nowhere near that heavy duty. It’s done well by me with no issues over the past 10-12 years cutting up to 3/4” rough.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m leaning towards this one. I’ve made bumpers with winch mounts using 1/2” material mostly. I just look at it like the more power the better. That may be a dumb way to look at these though.

The Powermax65 SYNC™ is a next-generation professional grade air plasma system that dramatically simplifies system operation for cutting and gouging up to 20 mm (3/4″). Featuring automated system process set-up via advanced RFID-enabled SmartSYNC™ torches and a revolutionary single-piece cartridge consumable that provides trackable utilization data. The Powermax65 SYNC maximizes productivity through reductions in downtime, optimized cut quality performance and streamlined consumable inventory management.

Includes
  • Powermax 65 Sync Power Source
  • 75 Degree Smart Sync Handheld Torch with 50ft lead and 50ft work clamp
  • (2) 65 Amp Drag Cutting Cartridges
  • (1) 45 Amp Drag Cutting Cartridges
  • Operator and Safety Manuals

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've started down the research path on these a few times and then didn't end up buying one. So, interested to see where you end up. What's the duty cycle - ie will be running all day or occasionally?

Edit - saw plasma cutter and thought plasma table. Ignore..

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The PowerMax 65 would be a very nice one if you don’t mind spending that kind of cash. Going up to 1” rough cutting would require a lot more outlay than that, so yep, you need to decide what the thickest material will be you’d cut smooth, and go from there. Even so, you’ll probably still get cuts that will require an angle grinder to smoothen out, unless you’re using a CNC machine. Good luck!

Latest posts

Top Bottom