Point Shooting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amadera

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Definitely viable. I learned at the Dallas County Sheriffs Academy in the late seventies. With my eyes the way they are now....it's the only way I can shoot.
It's not that difficult, just takes practice .

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Come on guys. He asked a serious question. Not for a forum on why you are so smart and he is so dumb.

Point shooting - IMO at certain distances, i.e. close, very viable and probably what most people will do instinctively. So, it is good to understand it, when you would use it, how to do it, and your limitations when point shooting.

J.C. Kerns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just this afternoon I practiced point-shooting with a Model-13 Smith & Wesson. Now, this handgun has been one of my favorites for several years and it just "likes" me.
At a distance of fifteen feet I was consistently able to draw from a holster and double-action my rounds into what I call the "critical area" of a silhouette target without using or looking at my sights.
Point shooting can be quicker than aimed fire and it can be accurate enough to do the job at short ranges. But it takes practice.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
never tried it with a handgun but as a kid was taught how to just look down the side of a rifle barrel to shot critters around the farm in real low light. took awhile to learn it but got fairly good at it.

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMHO, and that of everyone that I've trained with, point shooting is VERY limited in usefulness. As in < 5 feet. It's pretty much only used for combative distances, while firing from a position of retention. Have you ever wondered why Tom Givens has had around 52 students in gunfights, and 100% of his students that had a firearm on them won the fight? He only teaches firing from arm extended at eye level. Almost all combative shooting is a balance of speed and accuracy. The closer or larger the target the faster you can or should run your weapon. The further or smaller the target, the more care and time should be taken to ensure accurate shot placement. As for the link, it didn't open all the way for me. I did see it was from Gabe Suarez, and that was enough for me to know I wanted no part of it.

smokeyokc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with Norman. I have studied under Givens and he has all the statistics and a nice power point presentation on how the brain can recognize the sight picture in about 1/10 of a second (I believe). You just have to trust your sights and press the trigger. I recommend RangeMaster's Advanced Pistol Skills. You will not regret it. However in a "within 2 arms length distance" you should never go to full extension and reconsider drawing that gun anyway.

Latest posts

Top Bottom