Post up this years predators.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
If I'm trapping close to the house, and haven't spent much on diesel to get there, I'll shoot it and reset trap the next day. Right now I'm trapping 33 miles from the house so I make sure every trap is ready each night to make it worth the drive. You get really good at playing the wind!!:) They don't always spray either, probably 75% of the time they do though. I think I only caught 1 the first month of trapping, and have probably caught 15 in the last couple of weeks, they're definately on the move. Hopefully saved a lot of pheasant and quail nests as a result.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I'm trapping close to the house, and haven't spent much on diesel to get there, I'll shoot it and reset trap the next day. Right now I'm trapping 33 miles from the house so I make sure every trap is ready each night to make it worth the drive. You get really good at playing the wind!!:) They don't always spray either, probably 75% of the time they do though. I think I only caught 1 the first month of trapping, and have probably caught 15 in the last couple of weeks, they're definately on the move. Hopefully saved a lot of pheasant and quail nests as a result.

I hate trapping skunks. Its the part of the game though.

thaHooligan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
yea, i thought shooting them in the head may prevent them from spraying, but it doesnt. well at at least it didnt when i shot one with my 22mag in the head. me and my kid were out squirrel hunting once. as we sat behind a huge tree while using the squirrel call, we hear something moving and coming close. we figure its a squirrel coming in close on the ground. im about 4 feet from the big tree and all the sudden i see this skunk come around at a pretty good speed and its now only about 4 feet from us. i instantly stood up, was squatting down at the time, and fired 2 shots from the hip with the remington 870 12ga. in about a nanosecond and obliterated that thing. it all happened so fast. scared my boy half to death. as we stood there gathering out thoughts on what just happened, the stench began to fill the air. we made a mad dash out of the creek into the open wheat field about 30 yards until we got into some fresh air. it was a pretty damn crazy/fun experience.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
ok,been wanting to get into trapping some. how much are the traps at tractor supply? and what size do you guys recommend? thanks

Bobber Down

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shoot them in the chest and they don't spray to often...head shots they will spray almost every time,I had my first one of the season this morning...

yea, i thought shooting them in the head may prevent them from spraying, but it doesnt. well at at least it didnt when i shot one with my 22mag in the head. me and my kid were out squirrel hunting once. as we sat behind a huge tree while using the squirrel call, we hear something moving and coming close. we figure its a squirrel coming in close on the ground. im about 4 feet from the big tree and all the sudden i see this skunk come around at a pretty good speed and its now only about 4 feet from us. i instantly stood up, was squatting down at the time, and fired 2 shots from the hip with the remington 870 12ga. in about a nanosecond and obliterated that thing. it all happened so fast. scared my boy half to death. as we stood there gathering out thoughts on what just happened, the stench began to fill the air. we made a mad dash out of the creek into the open wheat field about 30 yards until we got into some fresh air. it was a pretty damn crazy/fun experience.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ok,been wanting to get into trapping some. how much are the traps at tractor supply? and what size do you guys recommend? thanks
They have a 2 trap set, with smaller trap inside an approximate 12"x12"x36" trap. They were on sale for $25.00. That is a good start. The next size up is around $60 and is bigger and will catch a bobcat as well. Coons will tear either one up. I know from experience.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We did 3 stands in the howling wind this afternoon and only called in one. He came in hot and I could not get him to stop for a shot even though I was yelling as hard as I could. He knocked my decoy down and lit the afterburners. We flung a couple shots at him but he was only 20 yrds from the timber and got gone quick. Wish I had been sitting closer to the call with a shotgun.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That had to be exciting!
As far as trapping skunks, we got over 20 last year, and every one of them sprayed when shot.
I went to the Ok Expo a couple of years ago and visited the trappers section. Asked them about skunks in a trap, and he said they use acetone in a syringe, that is attached to a pole. Stick it through the trap, and put it behind the shoulder. HE said it will expire and not spray.
Just passing this along.......

Latest posts

Top Bottom