Post Your Mounts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always thought the best way to score a deer's antlers is to cut out an acceptable margin of skull plate and weigh them. That's how you would truly find the "Biggest" buck.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I always thought the best way to score a deer's antlers is to cut out an acceptable margin of skull plate and weigh them. That's how you would truly find the "Biggest" buck.

There is some merit to that opinion.

But, I've seen a couple of buck in pictures that had some type of malformation and had pounds of antler growth on their heads without any tines.

the man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree...but i can't stand seeing some of the thin racked deer out there with a good spread outscoring some of the heavy horned deer with lesser spread. More mass = more deer...in my opinion.

T-Money

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I'm new here at OSA, although, I have been reading this forum for over a year. I am a Californian but have lived in OK and love it there. I return every year at Thanksgving to visit the family and do a bit of hunting and fishing. I introducted myself in the General Discussion if you all wan't more details.

Anyway, here is a pic of a decent buck I got in the 2008 rifle season in Haskell county. Sorry, I don't have a pic of the mount yet. I haven't had him officially scored (I plan on doing it when I get back there this year) but the estimates are in the mid to high 140's. He is a main-frame 8 with kickers off the G2's and has a 19" inside spread.

ai974.photobucket.com_albums_ae221_jasontassey_Deer009_1.jpg

ai974.photobucket.com_albums_ae221_jasontassey_Deer007_1.jpg

Here is a pig I recently got in California that is in the taxidermy process right now.

ai974.photobucket.com_albums_ae221_jasontassey_525.jpg

I hope you all enjoy and look forward to visiting and gaining information from this site.

Take care,

Jason

Reaction score

I like this a lot.

BUT - I'd also like to see this twist added to current scoring: You get 1" added for every 10 pounds of weight past 200. 260 lb deer? Add 6.0" to your score. Or in the case of weight, add ?? ounces for every 10 pounds past 200. Then those pansy 120 pounders in south Texas with insane racks wouldn't fare quite as well against midwestern & northern bruisers! :D

T-Money, that's a hella-nice deer there - wow! It looks much more impressive than my personal best gun buck, which scored 132 and 4/8ths net typical - came from Black Kettle public land. Nice piggie too. You hunt any rams/sheep out there?

T-Money

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
T-Money, that's a hella-nice deer there - wow! It looks much more impressive than my personal best gun buck, which scored 132 and 4/8ths net typical - came from Black Kettle public land. Nice piggie too. You hunt any rams/sheep out there?

I have never tried. It takes a lot of money to hunt in CA or you need to know someone with a bunch of land. Typically, ranchers or farmers will have exclusive agreements with guides, so finding property to hunt is rediculously hard. They hunt Desert Big Horns in the mountains outside of San Diego but there is only something like 19 or 20 tags given each year and litteraly hundreds of thousands of people buy in to the lottery for a tag which is $7.50 just for processing the registration. If you get a tag it costs an additional $350.00 ($500.00 non-resident). People will auction off their tags. I guess someone paid $110,000 for a tag back in 1994. It is rediculous to try to hunt in CA.

Latest posts

Top Bottom