Powder Valley visit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slack

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Last Friday I stopped by Powder Valley in Winfield, KS and thought I would give you a report.

They are pretty much in the middle or nowhere. They were easy enough to find following by punching in the address into my GPS. There are no signs or other identifiers on the road or on the building. I ended barging in to a warehouse in the middle of the country and asking if this was Powder Valley, they responded that it was. This was the only building within sight and the barely legible street number seemed to confirm.

They weren't much for chit-chat, but 15 minutes from pulling in I walked out with 6lbs of powder, 5000 primers and $200 lighter. I don't have the receipt in front of me, but I believe the sales tax was about 6.85% so keep that in mind if you are weighing the benefits of shipping versus picking up in person.

They do not have a show room, so no window shopping. Their website suggests that you order ahead, which seems like a good idea. I wasn't even sure I was going to have time to go, so I just got there when I got there and then ordered (an hour before closing on Friday).

It was about $6 worth of gas out of my way and an extra 1.5 hours or so, but all in all worth it for me. It was a nice day for a scenic trip through rural Kansas.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm close to them.
One guy I don't care for, as he acts like a counter sale preturbs him, but the others are really good to deal with.
Called in my order 45 minutes before arriving and it was ready with all paperwork ready for my CC.
Been dealing with them for 10 or so years.
They do not carry shot, but do carry a big line of shotshell wads.
Next time you go, take a right turn(south) from their gate, and get a good drive through some wonderful country. Enjoy going past the silverdale quarry, etc.
I make it a road trip with eating in Winfield, and taking the supplies through a leisurly trip down the east side of Kaw lake on county roads.

kansas45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Powder Valley is about a 20 minute drive for me. I only visit when I have a day off or take off a little early & run by on my way home from work. Usually I'll phone in my order & it's ready when I get there. Sometimes I suprise them & just make a cold stop. The folks there are always ready & willing to help, & I don't hurry them or act like I'm in a big hurry. I think they appreciate that. If they are busy filling phone or internet orders, I just set back with a copy of the "Blue Press" & wait untill they have time to get my stuff.

Latest posts

Top Bottom