Prairie Dogs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulls eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ive been twice, once in Montana and once in Kansas. Both good hunts, shot about 150-200 rounds a day. Goggle prairie dogs hunts one the computer to check some out. I can give you my Montana guide info if you want it.

Twmaster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So when you hunt these prairie dogs do you collect the carcasses or let them lay in their holes? Most of the action shots I've seen from PD hunts usually only show the bottom half of the critter.

R. Johnson

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Twmaster said:
So when you hunt these prairie dogs do you collect the carcasses or let them lay in their holes? Most of the action shots I've seen from PD hunts usually only show the bottom half of the critter.

Not sure. I know that some farmers will pay per tail for each critter killed if they're a major nuisance. I'm not looking to get paid, I just want the challenge I suppose. If I'm doing someone else the favor of getting rid of a pest that's destroying farm land then that's great.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Near Lawton. Tons of prairie dogs there. There's a prairie dog colony even inside the town near Lawton High school. Many of the farmers around Lawton will allow people to set camp and kill as many prairie dogs as they can. I remember a few years a guy paying me a nickle a head.

You pretty much can't kill these fast enough. For every 1 you kill, 2 sprout in it's place.

Bulls eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

You dont pick them up. They are pests and carry different diseases. If you use the right ammo there aint much to pick up anyway.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are loads of them out in the panhandle. That's where we shoot them but I'm shooting them on other people's land via permissions obtained by my inlaws so I'm in no position to extend an invitation. You might post on Craigslist that you are looking to shoot them, most farmers & ranchers will let you shoot them as long as you are safe about it. They all hate them because they're all bad news, no good reason to have them around.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
If you use the right ammo there aint much to pick up anyway.
Up in NE, I used to shoot em with 30-30 reloads, 110 gr. hollow points, (my poor mans varmint gun) pushing 3800 FPS IIRC. I could reach out to 150 yards with ease...nothing left to pick up.
SO much fun shooting these vermin and hours of entertainment in the right area. We would go through 300 rounds each (me and my brother) in one dog town with about a 75% kill rate.

C

coythtr

22-250 and a 50gr V-Max = Bad PD medicine! We shot a lot around Lawton but our place flooded and all was lost.
How do i get this off my screen>>>>>>>>

Latest posts

Top Bottom