Prairie Dogs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

870WingBlaster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are loads of them out in the panhandle. That's where we shoot them but I'm shooting them on other people's land via permissions obtained by my inlaws so I'm in no position to extend an invitation. You might post on Craigslist that you are looking to shoot them, most farmers & ranchers will let you shoot them as long as you are safe about it. They all hate them because they're all bad news, no good reason to have them around.

yeah there is.....they are fun to shoot

I wish they were in my own back yard

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Shooting prarie dogs can be the funnest thing and the most aggravating all at once. There an outfitter called no mercy down by chickasha that lists pdog hunts. There's a bunch around el reno also one of the easiest ways to find places to shoot are craigslist or take out a small ad in a rural local paper. It's tons of fun and will challenge and hone yourmmarksmanship skills. Another person to spot is very helpful along with at least 2-3 guns and lots of ammo. Build you amsimple shooting bench and have a blast.

Tha edge

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Guess I need to weigh in on this. Been dinging dogs since the early nineties. Used to run 12-18000 rounds per year thru the tubes. All private land.
First know your weapons and how they shoot. (Accuracy. 1 moa is not good enough)
Second...know your bullet. You do not want richoette(sp) so no FMJ or solids or partitions or grandslams etc. There are livestock in the same pasture and be prepared to demostrate to the landowner exactly what your rounds accomplish.
Third...Be very respectful don't make ruts, or leave wires shot in to, or leave a gate open that was closed or close a gate that was open.
Fourth be more than willing to lend a hand(IF you know what you are doing) to help the rancher in his daily chores and fix-its.
Fifth... remember them at Christmas time and maybe take them something they like everytime you go out.
Lastly.... when you go out, take at least a 5 gallon bucket of common sense.
JMHO dave

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Guess I need to weigh in on this. Been dinging dogs since the early nineties. Used to run 12-18000 rounds per year thru the tubes. All private land.
First know your weapons and how they shoot. (Accuracy. 1 moa is not good enough)
Second...know your bullet. You do not want richoette(sp) so no FMJ or solids or partitions or grandslams etc. There are livestock in the same pasture and be prepared to demostrate to the landowner exactly what your rounds accomplish.
Third...Be very respectful don't make ruts, or leave wires shot in to, or leave a gate open that was closed or close a gate that was open.
Fourth be more than willing to lend a hand(IF you know what you are doing) to help the rancher in his daily chores and fix-its.
Fifth... remember them at Christmas time and maybe take them something they like everytime you go out.
Lastly.... when you go out, take at least a 5 gallon bucket of common sense.
JMHO dave
There are way to many people these days who DON'T do these things and thus its far more difficult now to get landowner permission to hunt.
Good post.

257wby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Up in NE, I used to shoot em with 30-30 reloads, 110 gr. hollow points, (my poor mans varmint gun) pushing 3800 FPS IIRC. I could reach out to 150 yards with ease...nothing left to pick up.
SO much fun shooting these vermin and hours of entertainment in the right area. We would go through 300 rounds each (me and my brother) in one dog town with about a 75% kill rate.

No offense, but 3800fps out of a 30-30 is B.S. There is no way you could pack enough powder in a 30-30 casing to throw a 110gr bullet that fast. I load my 300WBY pretty hot with a 130gr barnes and only get 3550 or so. Not trying to be an A$$...just saying no way
http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/d...er&Weight=All&type=Rifle&Order=Powder&Source=

W

Watchrepairguy

Myself and some friends are thinking about trying this also.
From reading some posts it looks like the Lawton area may be a good place to try.

Latest posts

Top Bottom