primer swager???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oneof79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been thinking about buying a primer pocket swager. Dillon makes one you bolt to your bench. CH4d makes one you put in your press. The CH4D swager is cheaper than the one from Dillon. Both seem like they would do the job adequately.

Any one have experience with either of these?

Currently I am using a RCBS Trim Mate, I think. It has 5 stations for various tools. The tool for cutting the primer crimp is way to slow.

vdub

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have and really like the Dillon swager. It comes with both 556/223 and 308/762 setups. It is very easy to use and there are several videos on youtube to setup the Dillon in an automated way to make it even more efficient. Very solid unit that can absolutely destroy a brass cartridge if you don't have it lined up properly before cranking on the lever. It is very easy to setup but cannot talk about changing calibers as I don't use it for 762/308.

It has never ruined a cartridge that wasn't my fault and swaging is very uniform. I do run my bad cartridges through it to fold them up just for fun sometimes!!

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have the Dillon swager. I also have the trim mate that I use for processing small amounts of brass, but I do all the swaging with the Dillon swager.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have used the RCBS pocket swager for years. It works well. I recently bought the Dillon and I prefer it to the RCBS. I can do many more cases per hour with the dillon than I can with the RCBS. Blitzfike

oneof79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have used the RCBS pocket swager for years. It works well. I recently bought the Dillon and I prefer it to the RCBS. I can do many more cases per hour with the dillon than I can with the RCBS. Blitzfike

I went and bought the Dillon.

I got home with it, mounted it to my bench, went and got a coffee can of old 30-06 cases I've had for a couple of years. Started depriming them and noticed every single one of them were R-P brand cases. None of them needed swageing. I guess I'll have to go buy some Lake City somewhere or start in on the 556 I have laying around here somewhere.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My Dillon swager stays mounted to a short chunk of 2 x 4. When needed, I simply C-clamp it to the bench. When done, I put it back into storage. Keeps my bench less cluttered.

oneof79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My Dillon swager stays mounted to a short chunk of 2 x 4. When needed, I simply C-clamp it to the bench. When done, I put it back into storage. Keeps my bench less cluttered.

Mine is mounted to a short piece of 2x6. One end has my Hornaday trimmer mounted to it the other end is my new Dillon swager. For trimming I just hold it in my lap. I don't know if I can do that with the swager but I'm gonna try.

Latest posts

Top Bottom