Public gatherings of open carriers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
After the open carry law passed I started seeing folks on a number of gun forums saying that they would like to organize a public show of numbers in different cities around the State. While I personally do not agree with this approach when used solely to show others that you can do might do more harm than good many others disagree with me. Don't get me wrong. If a government agency in the State makes it clear with either threats or actions then a show of force would be called for. That would be a legitimate and necessary response to an illegal act. That is not what this post is about.

While I agree with the need for public awareness campaigns we must be careful to not associate ourselves with those who only wish to rub someones nose in the fact that we can do something and they can't stop us type actions. As I said earlier I would be against a large group of armed citizens walking in force up and down busy streets for no other reason than because they can. Or to show others that we won.

Instead of the Shock and Awe approach some our side want to use I would like to see a more gradual non threatening approach.

A get together at some underused park to do some trash pickup. Maybe a cookout or picnic when done. I specify an underused park because going to a busy one would scare some of the young children that through no fault of their own are taught that guns are evil and will hurt them. Scaring those you wish to convert is not a good idea.

Pick out some rural or semi-rural county road to pick up trash. One with moderate traffic so that rubberneckers would not create a traffic hazard that might endanger us or other drivers. Also a semi-rural county blacktop would probably carry more folks from that rural background who are more acceptable to seeing firearms. The ones appalled or outraged by them would not be in the huge majority there.

There are plenty more things we can do that would not cause a large outcry from the general public. We can as some believe get up in their face. Or, we can just slowly become the norm. In my opinion this is how to win.

EDIT: Added for input on another forum.
**Meeting at a restaurant or establishment owned by one of the group members. Could also include an establishment whose owner wants to get involved and actively sopport the movement.

Michael

Last edited:

berettaman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not a troll question,just asking. How come every time a gun/open carry question is asked, Everyone thinks it so much better to do it in "a rural" area.:mad: ALERT!!!!!! RuRAL counties are Run by County Sherriffs.ALERT!!! Most of them surveyed were against open carry,,DUH.Cityfolk please use a little common sense.We country folk move out here to get away from your crazyness.
Thank You.

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Good question. I believe that my experience of living all my life in this rural area leads me to believe that firearms are more accepted here. At least that seems to be the case where I'm at. I do not have the experience of having moved here to get away from the crazy city folks as I was born here a long time back.

I have talked to my county Sheriff and he is very pro gun. I know for a fact that folks standing around showing off their new rifles while comparing the fresh killed deer in the beds of their trucks ion the main highway passing through town doesn't raise an eyebrow around here. Maybe where you are is different, I don't know.

Now I believe that them city folks who might be driving through and see us openly carrying our handguns might notice that we are not killing each other. Just my opinion though. I might just be full of it. Thats for others to say.

On the point of my post. I am looking for non confrontational ways to slowly indoctrinate the general public that firearms are not evil. That they are or will be legal to openly carry so there is no need for alarm.

Michael

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So u moved to the country to get away from OC???

I think doing it in an area of those against it like the city is better. Promoting same sex marriage in a gay club probably isn't going to do anything for your cause. Promoting OC at a place where most are on board with your cause is a gross waste of time.

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why do we need to promote it at all? It will be a freedom in November, people just need to do what they want. The media will advertise OC enough, just don't get why you guys think we need to do it ourselves. I support open carry, I don't support being a show pony.

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Fair enough, but start the nonconfrontational stuff in the city where it is needed and will translate better .leave us rural folks out of it please(we got a good thing going.):)
Let me get this straight. You want me to leave the safety of my peaceful small town and drive into the city? Are you nuts? Why would anyone in their right mind drive into a big city? I didn't lose anything there. I see enough of their kind when they come here.

Michael

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why do we need to promote it at all? It will be a freedom in November, people just need to do what they want. The media will advertise OC enough, just don't get why you guys think we need to do it ourselves. I support open carry, I don't support being a show pony.

Couldn't agree more.

Do what you would normally do on any given day and by doing so, show the public that you/we are law abiding normal every day citizens....

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You won't catch me at any public gatherings like that.
I might show up but doubt I would be open carrying.
The object of my post was to point out that there are other ways besides confrontation to make a point. That if you want to make a public showing there is no reason not to try and do it without making folks think you are rubbing their noses in it. That there is a middle ground.

Michael

Latest posts

Top Bottom