Public gatherings of open carriers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ByrdC130

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Point has already been made, they law was passed, Nov 1 you can open carry, nuff said. Oh, and leave small town America out of it, please. More than 4 cars a day on our roads makes too much dust!;)

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Point has already been made, they law was passed, Nov 1 you can open carry, nuff said. Oh, and leave small town America out of it, please. More than 4 cars a day on our roads makes too much dust!;)
Lots more than fours cars a day here what with the gas boom and wind farms being put in. They are destroying some of our county blacktops.

Michael

P

PistolPackin'Honey

The motto of the Oklahoma Open Carry Association: Carry Responsibly. Carry Often.
(Notice it does not say "Carry Open".) The point: just carry.

A right not exercised is a right lost.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think everyone is making way to much of how the general public and especially most of the police / sheriffs will respond to open carry. I think for the most part it will go smoothly.

To start, I think you will notice open carry widely practiced by farmers, ranchers and their wives all across the state.. but especially in SW Oklahoma. My county as experienced a high amount of rural home break-ins and thefts of equipment.. even old fashioned cattle & horse theft. We've also been having a lot of arson fires. I don't think it will be unusual to go to a Atwood's or Tractor supply store and see people open carrying. Same for the restaurants where the farmers & ranchers go for coffee and to eat. I think as the town folk get use to seeing the rural folk openly wearing weapons around town.. Open Carry will begin to run smoothly. It is gonna come down to people's ability to read the demeanor & actions of those who open carry a weapon.

ShurShot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A 'let's all show up and walk down the street with our guns, oops, I mean weapons hanging out' gathering would be ignorant IMHO. The best thing for oc/cc is for it to be uneventful. Not a big 'look at us' party.

Last edited by a moderator:

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For the record I am not pro gathering either. I was just pointing out that pushing an agenda in an environment that largely already supports that agenda isn't accomplishing much.

Roadside cleanup likely wouldn't be great either. Most people wouldn't even notice the guns passing by at 45 mph while paying even a little bit of attention to actual driving. Plus someone might notice the gun and it draw too much of their attention and next thing u know... Wham. OC blamed for multi car accident. Bad press.

Eating at an establishment that is pro gun sounds like your best idea I've heard so far. A place that gets busy would be best. Does Olive Garden support OC? Place always has a wait.

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
For the record I am not pro gathering either. I was just pointing out that pushing an agenda in an environment that largely already supports that agenda isn't accomplishing much.

Roadside cleanup likely wouldn't be great either. Most people wouldn't even notice the guns passing by at 45 mph while paying even a little bit of attention to actual driving. Plus someone might notice the gun and it draw too much of their attention and next thing u know... Wham. OC blamed for multi car accident. Bad press.

Eating at an establishment that is pro gun sounds like your best idea I've heard so far. A place that gets busy would be best. Does Olive Garden support OC? Place always has a wait.

Very doubtful. I don't think any big corporate restaurants would. Your best bet is a locally owned/based one.

GlockCop

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
A 'let's all show up and walk down the street with our guns, oops, I mean weapons hanging out' gathering would be ignorant IMHO. The best thing for oc/cc is for it to be uneventful. Not a big 'look at us' party.

ShurShot Im ROFLMAO...This is what I envision when I see all these "Open Carriers" talking about their get togethers or trash pick ups.

Last edited by a moderator:

50Shooter

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a friend who is President of a statewide pro firearms group, not in Okla.

They had a anti group posing as pro open carry try and set up a "march to an open carry rally" at their Capitol. Initially, hundreds were talking about attending.

Lucky for them they discovered they were being setup and got the word out. They never figured out exactly what the people were going to do.

It does not take much imagination to think of ways the anti group could have planted persons to commit antisocial or criminal acts to get the blame placed on us "right wing gun nuts". They had fairly extensive media coverage planed which would have made nationwide coverage of any incident a sure thing.

So, be careful out there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom