How much to live on?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beautiful Mulberry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That was my parent's words of wisdom to me upon their retirement...have everything paid off. :thumb:
This is why we pretty much save half of our income. I see ppl here and in everyday life struggle Mai Lu because of poor choices-debt. We do not want that.
It’s extremely hard at time because you ppl on here have so many things for sale that I need(want😂) but I have to remind myself I’m playing the long game.

Beautiful Mulberry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i get $1121 a month SS,thats $13,452 a year,,sounds poor to most of you ,but my house is paid for ,truck and suv paid for..300 utility bills and insurance,15 cell fone,,50 internet,and i easily saved ,last 4 months $500 a month to pay my $2060 property taxs , no problem..yet some of you must have 40,000 a year to survive?????? what are you paying out every month ????200cell??? 140 cable????600new car,1200 new truck ??? 1200 insurance????
Good for you I’m proud of you!!

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is why we pretty much save half of our income. I see ppl here and in everyday life struggle Mai Lu because of poor choices-debt. We do not want that.
It’s extremely hard at time because you ppl on here have so many things for sale that I need(want😂) but I have to remind myself I’m playing the long game.

@Beautiful Mulberry

You are being smart. We are both retired. We’ve never borrowed one penny in our lives. No payments on anything. We live a very comfortable life. We chose to live debt free because we loved to travel and knew we wanted to save for the future, and travel we did. All of the US except Mass and Rhode Island, all of Canada, Alaska and a lot of Mexico on a Motorcycle, as well as out of Country multiple times. We spent a ton of our money traveling and still do. But we also made our money work for us in Real estate and Investing. We did scrimp and save hard in the beginning and went without while others our age did not and bought toys and new stuff. We bought used with cash.

Last edited:

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Yeah, I get kinda envious as well at the cool toys that I see here, but I know if I spent big money on big things, that Mrs GED would kill me, dismember my corpse and scatter my severed body parts all across SE Oklahoma.

Or, should would at least hold out on the brown chicken, brown cow...which is just about as bad. :grumble:

JoeUSooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not only Social Security, but all governmental economic departments (especially the ones that issue "reports" on inflation) base their calculations on the lowest, cherry-picked items - such as used cars prices (which don't apply as monthly expenses for most seniors) for Social Security COA. The real, recurring high-cost items - like utilities - are specifically omitted. All lies. Unsurprisingly, outright lies.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How is that possible? Aren't you a cop? I see them living in nice houses all the time.
They are in debt up to their eyeballs. When Grumpy and I got married everyone was shocked that we didn't immediately buy a McMansion and new cars. 🤷 We both had 2 jobs also. But I can't function in paycheck to paycheck mode any more. I was so tired of living that way by necessity that when the opportunity to be able to create a buffer I took it and RAN ... LOL

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No but you give good hugs ... 😉🤣🥰🥰😘

aww-shucks-498-x-332-gif-7kh9dnfc3pxbm9q3.gif

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i get $1121 a month SS,thats $13,452 a year,,sounds poor to most of you ,but my house is paid for ,truck and suv paid for..300 utility bills and insurance,15 cell fone,,50 internet,and i easily saved ,last 4 months $500 a month to pay my $2060 property taxs , no problem..yet some of you must have 40,000 a year to survive?????? what are you paying out every month ????200cell??? 140 cable????600new car,1200 new truck ??? 1200 insurance????
Good for you. The goal for me is to retire in a standard of living comparable or better to what I have now. Not having to work is a big part of that. Plans change though, lifestyles do as well. If you are happy that is what counts most.

Latest posts

Top Bottom