How much to live on?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Throw Rent into that as well. Rent and Housing have risen far faster than incomes across the board in all states. The ultimate goal is to bankrupt everyone, whether it is a conspiracy or merely by individual actions and corporate actions. We as a nation were doing much better a decade or two ago. It is very sad that a net worth of merely (yes, I said merely) $2,500,000 would place one square in the 2% of US net worths. We in the US had more millionaires 5 years ago and before. There are fewer than 800 Billionaires here as well. I suspect this will get worse.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/rich...YtaGjOdwWBTGTkJUqaUlu1dL12quUfDpojvFBf7YpmTr-

There are no pensions except for very few, 401K's and IRAs. Inflation is destroying people in general. Unhappy people die sooner. Mortality rates are going up, most retirees are on 3 or more meds. Our politicians have done this too us.

XYZ

Ribertarian
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The thing is most of us learned about the prophecies when we were growing up and most didn’t pay attention as this stuff started to happen.

I’ve read/learned about it in numerous cultures and religions. The core portions are the same in all of them.

We’re doomed.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Throw Rent into that as well. Rent and Housing have risen far faster than incomes across the board in all states. The ultimate goal is to bankrupt everyone, whether it is a conspiracy or merely by individual actions and corporate actions. We as a nation were doing much better a decade or two ago. It is very sad that a net worth of merely (yes, I said merely) $2,500,000 would place one square in the 2% of US net worths. We in the US had more millionaires 5 years ago and before. There are fewer than 800 Billionaires here as well. I suspect this will get worse.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/rich...YtaGjOdwWBTGTkJUqaUlu1dL12quUfDpojvFBf7YpmTr-

There are no pensions except for very few, 401K's and IRAs. Inflation is destroying people in general. Unhappy people die sooner. Mortality rates are going up, most retirees are on 3 or more meds. Our politicians have done this too us.
My landlord has raised the rates 3 times in 3 years saying it is because of property taxes going up, but he dont understand is that anyone can check to see what property tax is on any piece of property and mine has gone up $25 in the last 3 years but the landlord felt he needed to raise the rent $25 a month to offset the increase knowing that you either have to pay or get out.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My landlord has raised the rates 3 times in 3 years saying it is because of property taxes going up, but he dont understand is that anyone can check to see what property tax is on any piece of property and mine has gone up $25 in the last 3 years but the landlord felt he needed to raise the rent $25 a month to offset the increase knowing that you either have to pay or get out.
Very sad and disturbing. Big part I would venture to say is he (or she) can do it. Legitimately expenses have gone up for repairs and insurances. Perhaps they needed to refinance? Whatever the case that s_cks. Have a friend in Edmond, their Insurance has gone up 75% this year!

C_Hallbert

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So? Paid for?
We own a larger property and home in Pittsburg County about (5) miles east of McAlester. Our wayward son (unemployed with a troubled history occupies it and we will continue to pay the taxes, electric, propane and insurance as long as he stays out of trouble in the hope that he will someday/somehow find employment and learn to walk on the path of life as an honorable man.

My wife was born in McAlester and her family accumulated a moderate to large farm/cattle ranch that was added on to the allotted land granted to her family under the Dawes Act. It was once (1400) acres until Lake Eufaula subtracted over (400) acres (their best bottom land on Gaines Creek) under eminent domain. The land and mineral rights remain in a trust until the the last of her aunts and uncles are gone after which it will be divided among her and the other grandchildren.

We met in 1970 (while in the military) at Portsmouth Naval Hospital. She was a Corpswave (Corpsman) and I was a Marine patient (not one of hers). I was born in Brooklyn, NY and raised on suburban Long Island. However, I never fit well in that domain. Growing up, people used to ask, “Where are you from?” because I never had that strong (annoying) New York’n accent like my younger sister. Also, I bought a (12’) boat at age twelve with money from cutting lawns and shoveling snow, fished and duck hunted on the Great South Bay, deer hunted upstate during my teens and was an avid East Coast Surfer.

My wife and I lived in McAlester for over (44) years, but moved to a modern home in southeast Alabama after years of hounding by our oldest son (very successful but driven to achieve to the extent that I hope it won’t lead to his early demise). He is concerned that I’ll die and wants his mother where he can insure she’s taken care of away from his younger brother who consistently takes advantage of her motherly instincts.

So, the answer to the question is: we’re paying for a (3.125%) fixed interest mortgage on this property which lies about (2 1/2) miles outside the Fort Rucker (now Novasel) Ozark Gate. Home prices and interest rates have increased significantly since we came here and (by current standards) we got a lot for our money. Also, I’ve paid for some significant improvements since we moved in like getting electric installed in our pole barn, adding an insulated (40’L x 8’W x 96”H) Storage CONEX Container with electric for storage, and a cement walk around almost half of the house with a cement patio. We’re repeatedly contacted by realtors on behalf of interested parties, but I plan to die here: wife says, “The sooner the better!” I figure it’s one of them ‘Oklahoma Sonner’ slogans. We’re able to do all this without stressing our finances, but supporting two households is a bit aggravating. We could refinance and drop the payments to near insignificance if we sold our McAlester home. This will probably never happen. Taxes are low here, much like rural Oklahoma, and electricity isn’t unreasonable. This is a heavily insulated brick home with a metal roof and our electric bills year round average around ($200) month; Like Oklahoma, we have a well for our water. I’m over (77) years old, worn out and dilapidated. This property requires a lot of work and I keep over (5) acres mowed. It gets real hot here, too! The house and property are beautiful, but the truth for me is: Home is wherever my ‘Country Girl’ Wife is….
IMG_7698.png
IMG_7697.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Top Bottom