Public Land For Plinking?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

likemindead

New to the site!
Reaction score
Looking for somewhere to shoot outdoors. Punching paper at the range gets old. Want to go destroy some soda cans, melons, etc. I grew up in the TX panhandle & there are several places that people have gone for decades to shoot. Anywhere like that within thirty or forty-five minutes of OKC? Legality? Thanks!

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Banner range maybe? You didn't say what part of the city you were in but it's a good option for outdoor shooting.

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm going to tack onto this post and ask a question about Lexington wma. I grew up shooting there but I haven't been in quite a few years. Has anyone ever gone out there to enjoy a few tannerite explosions? Any problems in doing so?

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.
how about from Tulsa?
Since you are in Glenpool, you could go south to Okmulgee WMA
...or you could go north to Sand Springs to that spot on the north Arkansas river road that parallels Hwy 412 (approx. 3 miles west of Highway 97 on Wekiwa road. There are three oil tanks there and a road (well barely). Turn left there and road goes down by river.)

Last edited:

dongkeeekong

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
What are the rules for shooting out there? Been trying to find some info on this but have come up empty.

Moved from Albuquerque and we were able to go out into the desert on BLM land and pretty much do whatever we wanted...

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm going to tack onto this post and ask a question about Lexington wma. I grew up shooting there but I haven't been in quite a few years. Has anyone ever gone out there to enjoy a few tannerite explosions? Any problems in doing so?

Yes, the ranger out there doesn't take very well to tannerite from everyone I know that has used it out there. You will get harassed about it.

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What are the rules for shooting out there? Been trying to find some info on this but have come up empty.

Moved from Albuquerque and we were able to go out into the desert on BLM land and pretty much do whatever we wanted...

You just have to have an Oklahoma hunting license, on your person. It is expected for people to clean up after their self, although it doesn't happy as frequently as it needs to. There isn't land like you are speaking of in Oklahoma, that I know of, or have heard of. All the state land is regulated, and only a small portion of it is actually public use for things like hunting. Larger amount of land is Indian or privately owned anymore. That is one of my biggest complaints about the state, is the lack of public land for recreation like shooting, or off roading/riding. I hear stories from friends that grew up in Nevada (and states like) and all the freedom they had out there growing up, just being able to pull off the road a ways and shoot, or ride dirt bikes, etc.

Latest posts

Top Bottom