Public Land For Plinking?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

likemindead

New to the site!
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. Hope to head out the the Lexington WMA soon. Will definitely clean up afterwards. Can't stand folks trashing nature. Shameful.

cinco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is Fort Gibson WMA range still have a sketchy reputation? Was doing research a while ago here on that area and a lot of guys did not recommend it. Believe that is where the older fellow was shooting alone and was shot down and left of dead. I tend to shoot alone so that is always a concern when you're by yourself.

Grindstone

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is Fort Gibson WMA range still have a sketchy reputation? Was doing research a while ago here on that area and a lot of guys did not recommend it. Believe that is where the older fellow was shooting alone and was shot down and left of dead. I tend to shoot alone so that is always a concern when you're by yourself.

I don't even have the words...

TheLastDaze

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

absolutely ashamed...

when I lived in so cal there was a place called lytle creek where I went since I was a kid, years later it turned into a gang banger hypoint practice area, normally there was enough people around but same thing happened to a guy when the range was empty they killed him and stole a slew of his guns...

after hearing this I ALWAYS have a side arm fully loaded at ALL times, regardless....

I used to set up my skeet alone up in big bear sometimes, always armed and on the ready.... I'm like that even going to an indoor range transporting my guns from the parking lot.....

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is still some land in the 3 rivers WMA in S.E. Oklahoma, I don't know of a formal range within it, but there are hundreds of places to shoot there. About half of the Weyerhauser lands there are now leased to hunt clubs and are posted to non club members. If you do go to 3 rivers in the portion still open to the public, you have to purchase a land use permit from the Oklahoma Wildlife Department for any activity within its boundaries unless you are 65 or older.

mangeface

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey guys, couple of questions about the Lexington WMA.

1. How many people are out there on week days, on average? I work on aircraft and my weekend in smack dab in the middle of the week.

2. Am I able to do some "maneuver and fire" type of drills? Like practice IDPA and USPSA type of shooting. Or is it strictly regulated to bench shooting?

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey guys, couple of questions about the Lexington WMA.

1. How many people are out there on week days, on average? I work on aircraft and my weekend in smack dab in the middle of the week.

2. Am I able to do some "maneuver and fire" type of drills? Like practice IDPA and USPSA type of shooting. Or is it strictly regulated to bench shooting?

Wish I could answer this for you, but I've never been out there on a weekday, mostly Saturday's, and it gets quite busy.

As far as the type of shooting, if you are out there alone, I don't think anyone would complain, lol. I don't really see the set up ideal for much more than bench shooting, but it's not too far of a drive to swing out and check it out for yourself to see if it would fit your needs. There is plenty of open space on either side you go to, so if you are alone, you may be able to get creative.

You will need to bring out your own target stand(s). I've seen some pretty creative stuff used out there, that's for sure. My favorite has been a pvc stand with water balloons on it. Simple and fun.

Don't forget to have your hunting license on you.

Latest posts

Top Bottom