Public Land For Plinking?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mangeface

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for the info. If it's quite busy on the weekends, I'm guessing it probably will be during the weekdays also.

Hmm...guess I'll just have to do like I did when I was stationed in North Carolina and see if some farmer will let me shoot on his land for a case of beer each time.

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for the info. If it's quite busy on the weekends, I'm guessing it probably will be during the weekdays also.

Hmm...guess I'll just have to do like I did when I was stationed in North Carolina and see if some farmer will let me shoot on his land for a case of beer each time.

Eh, I'd at least give it a chance. I would bet you'd stand a half decent chance of catching some alone time out there while everyone is working.

meatGrinder

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I'm off in the middle of the week also, and I go to Lexington often to hunt and plink at the range with my sons. I get there at sun-up on Wednesdays and have the place to myself for several hours before anyone else shows up.

I've met lots of cool folks out there over the years, and that's generally the rule. However, I HAVE had the pleasure of meeting some fellas out there where I had to do a double take behind me because of the banjo music I was afraid to hear. I recommend NOT going on weekends due to the crowds. I can't stand it.

The warden there is a pretty agreeable guy, too.

Oh, and there's a pond right between the two ranges that's always got good deer sign.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went to Lexington with the wife last friday, met a warden there, nice guy.
They had recently cleaned the place up, and we met the guy who did it, also nice guy.
He dropped a hint that there may be new benches in the works, thanks to the boy scouts.
He also mentioned something about an awning over the benches, that would make shooting in the rain much more enjoyable.
Not sure if that is really in the pipe line or just wishful thinking.

Latest posts

Top Bottom