Question for you 3 gunners

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lance Jensen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Las Cruces PD even carries 2011's with magwells... Very good point about equipment, however I feel learning to shoot under stress, on the move, at multiple targets, in various positions, varying distances, ect.. Has everything to do with gun fighting.

Having tactics is for the most part common sense; if they're shooting at you get behind something that stops bullets. If nothing is available, don't be static. Know your back drop and play your angles of attack.

Bottom line, competition has made me a better shooter.

Maj. John Andre

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't doubt that Competition has made people better shooters, and has supplied some good ideas when it comes to gear, but competition is an internal stress that we place upon ourselves to perform well, not an external stress that is placed upon us by someone who is trying to kill us. All of the skills you list are good skills to have no doubt, but could easily be learned without ever competing, and probably would be of higher value as opposed to being able to pre-plan your shooting and magazine changes, and seeing all your targets before hand. As someone on one of these threads pointed out the only good way to become proficient at fighting is to fight. Pretending to fight just doesn't measure up, and could be teaching us bad habits that might not be of value in a real life close range inter-personal dispute. As for the posters intent I would think any holster that held the gun securely would suffice as it is just a game, and a very fun one from the description, but probably of little training value.

acpjosh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Major, a good majority of competition shooters have some type of defensive training, LE and millitary experiance under their belt. A good portion of the stuff I have learned in "tactical" classes can be implimented in competition, and using the skills from good training in competition builds upon those skills.. i.e. shooting from behind cover, being able to make hits with an elevated heart rate, shooting while moving, etc. I am not saying competition can replace training, but it is a good place to practice skills learned and have a ton of fun.

Lance Jensen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't doubt that Competition has made people better shooters, and has supplied some good ideas when it comes to gear, but competition is an internal stress that we place upon ourselves to perform well, not an external stress that is placed upon us by someone who is trying to kill us. All of the skills you list are good skills to have no doubt, but could easily be learned without ever competing, and probably would be of higher value as opposed to being able to pre-plan your shooting and magazine changes, and seeing all your targets before hand. As someone on one of these threads pointed out the only good way to become proficient at fighting is to fight. Pretending to fight just doesn't measure up, and could be teaching us bad habits that might not be of value in a real life close range inter-personal dispute. As for the posters intent I would think any holster that held the gun securely would suffice as it is just a game, and a very fun one from the description, but probably of little training value.

Major with due respect,

I have been a police officer for the last 11 years and a CLEET Firearms Instructor for the last 5 years. I "pre-plan" my shooting every time I exit my patrol car and hope it doesn't come to that. As for stress you are very correct, but some stress is better than no stress. I'm not sure about you, but external stress gives me internal stress. Being able to deal with internal stress is the name of the game in competition. This "game" teaches you to think and solve problems. The shooting is secondary, therefore it must become subconscious. (conscious thought = too slow) (real world = dead) I'm relating this to weapon manipulation

I got into competition 3 years ago because I needed something more in firearms. Let's say it was a humbling experience. The first time I shot a stage I received an adrenalin dump. Through all of my training I had never experienced that while actively shooting my weapon. From then on I was hooked. You can train to a standard, but there is something about competition that brings about stress you have not felt before.

I also agree that you will ignore standard defensive responses in competition, but it serves a purpose and has it's place. I shoot competition to strengthen my mental awareness. I encourage you to come play a game with us, just for the fun of it... then tell us what you think.

seanmccanne

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, I dated a girl who looked like you once. Except she had hair on her head and not on her face, plus no tattoos. And she was a girl. And pretty.

Ok, not much like you at all.

:D

Latest posts

Top Bottom