Rage???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Before I had to graduate to a Xbow I liked the G5 Montec.
The one in the pic is buried in the 3rd vertebra of a pig I took a Texas heart shot on several years ago. It totally shattered the first two before stopping in this one. Couldn't pull the arrow out so I unscrewed it, and recovered it later.
It came out later as the bone dried, and it could be used again without sharpening. I keep it on my desk at work as a conversation piece.

View attachment 32512

As a Chiropractor, I approve of that pic :D

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Before I had to graduate to a Xbow I liked the G5 Montec.
The one in the pic is buried in the 3rd vertebra of a pig I took a Texas heart shot on several years ago. It totally shattered the first two before stopping in this one. Couldn't pull the arrow out so I unscrewed it, and recovered it later.
It came out later as the bone dried, and it could be used again without sharpening. I keep it on my desk at work as a conversation piece.

View attachment 32512
Dennis, can you text me a pic of that sometime. There is a guy at work that says you can't penetrate the armor plate on a hog. I know yours wasn't in the armor, but if it will do that to a few inches of spine, it will penetrate the armor plate on 98% of the hogs.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I truly believe that the "armor plate" thing is believed by so many people because they shoot pics too far back. Anything behind the shoulder is guts. Needs to be shoulder or further forward. They aren't built like a deer or elk. So guys shoot them, they run off and don't leave a blood trail and they think the bullet didn't penetrate.

nhagar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Muzzy's are good. I think most of the hate is for crappy mechanicals.

Yeah mechanicals is what I had problems with. since then I have always shot steel force. I always bought Steel force Sabertooth series. I bought 3 packs or so 4-5 years ago. re-used most of them. Bought some more just the other day off ebay. 4 packs of 3 for 35 shipped. got the venom series though. Will know how they do hopefully in a few short days

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dennis, can you text me a pic of that sometime. There is a guy at work that says you can't penetrate the armor plate on a hog. I know yours wasn't in the armor, but if it will do that to a few inches of spine, it will penetrate the armor plate on 98% of the hogs.

Done.

I truly believe that the "armor plate" thing is believed by so many people because they shoot pics too far back. Anything behind the shoulder is guts. Needs to be shoulder or further forward. They aren't built like a deer or elk. So guys shoot them, they run off and don't leave a blood trail and they think the bullet didn't penetrate.

I'm no pig expert, having only taken three so far, but here is the story.

We had some feral hogs around my hunting areas. A person that raised them had them get out. My buddy had them show up at his feeder, and he used his .44 mag to shoot one. Close range at his feeder, and he saw the round hit right behind the front leg. The 100 pounder fell over, then got up and ran off. He never found it, and there isn't a tree within a mile, just wheat field and some draws.

Fast forward to a bow hunt I went on in SE Ok a couple of years ago. It was a group hunt with participants from another forum. One was an editor of Hog Hunt magazine or one of those.

He shot a pig with a .44 mag as well, and as it ran off, shot it again. The second shot killed it. The first shot hit the plate, and there was a perfectly mushroomed bullet just under the hide that never penetrated.

The vitals on a pig are under and forward of the front leg. Shooting one like a deer behind the front legs won't result in a clean kill. They will die later.

I've always hunted with a cut on impact broadhead, never a chisel point. Not that this has anything to do with pigs, but that's always been my preference.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
thanks for the info on the Muzzys. I have a buddy out of Loyal who told me years ago that muzzy was the best. He hunts a whole lot more than I ever thought about so I figured his old info was better than my best guess.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
Broadheads are like bows, like arrows, like guns, like women, like cars. We all have different opinions on what works to our tastes. If any one of anything was so much greater and everyone liked the same thing, there would only be one option. I used to love the old Bear broadheads out of a recurve, thunderheads too. This year I'm going to try mechanical (Carbon Express)...wish me luck!

Latest posts

Top Bottom