Random stuff you have made

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I made this serving tray out of Argentinian Osage orange with the ivy portion engraved on my gf’s laser and then filled in with colored epoxy. The frame and handles are black walnut, and the whole thing got several coats of clear gloss spar urethane. It really isn’t as glossy as the pic makes it out to be, though. I’ll be giving this tray to my neighbor after we get back from our visit to NC next month, since she’s taking care of our dogs while we’re gone.

IMG_6703.jpeg

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure I really need this but I saw a video of a guy making one of these, out of much thinner material, after watching that, a bunch more videos started showing up on YouTube.

I had some scrap 1/2” flat bar…so I made a grass chute block.

IMG_9213.jpeg
IMG_9214.jpeg

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I make a lot of items out of aluminum. A friend and I buy up what good deals we find in metals. We bought some aluminum that is 16" wide and 1.5" thick in 12 lengths. We also bought some 4"od rod. I bought an Evolution circular saw just for cutting aluminum. I found that setting up a portable work bench and clamping the metal to it a pain so, I thought why not convert the circular saw to a chop saw. Then I got the idea that converting a radial arm saw might be easier and make better cuts. I found a nearby radial arm saw for $60 and bought it. I striped the motor off and started planning an adapter to mount the Evolution saw. I started with a block of aluminum that was 12" x 8"x1.5". I kept milling on it until I got it mount up and roll freely. Having a crank up height and lock feature was a good thing. I put a collar on the round column so the blade couldn't go too low and get the blade into any of the steel below the 1/4" aluminum I decked the saw with. I made a pully and clamp on weight for the power cord to keep it out of the way. I'm using c clamps to the backstop for now until I find a good way to secure the metal. I may put a bottom in the table, seal it up, drill a few holes around the cutting area, and make a connection for my shop vacuum to make it like a downdraft table for the chips. The only thing that didn't work out like I wanted was I had to take the guard off. It had to be lifted by hand to get the saw moving in both directions and I didn't like reaching in that near the blade. It's
radial arm saw (1).JPG
radial arm saw (2).JPG
a work in progress that can be use now.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I make a lot of items out of aluminum. A friend and I buy up what good deals we find in metals. We bought some aluminum that is 16" wide and 1.5" thick in 12 lengths. We also bought some 4"od rod. I bought an Evolution circular saw just for cutting aluminum. I found that setting up a portable work bench and clamping the metal to it a pain so, I thought why not convert the circular saw to a chop saw. Then I got the idea that converting a radial arm saw might be easier and make better cuts. I found a nearby radial arm saw for $60 and bought it. I striped the motor off and started planning an adapter to mount the Evolution saw. I started with a block of aluminum that was 12" x 8"x1.5". I kept milling on it until I got it mount up and roll freely. Having a crank up height and lock feature was a good thing. I put a collar on the round column so the blade couldn't go too low and get the blade into any of the steel below the 1/4" aluminum I decked the saw with. I made a pully and clamp on weight for the power cord to keep it out of the way. I'm using c clamps to the backstop for now until I find a good way to secure the metal. I may put a bottom in the table, seal it up, drill a few holes around the cutting area, and make a connection for my shop vacuum to make it like a downdraft table for the chips. The only thing that didn't work out like I wanted was I had to take the guard off. It had to be lifted by hand to get the saw moving in both directions and I didn't like reaching in that near the blade. It'sView attachment 484538View attachment 484539 a work in progress that can be use now.
Quite the awesome job. That top will negate some of the "chop saw" feedback issues that those saws exhibit with the gap in most where the blade operates.

Latest posts

Top Bottom