Range mishap??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You go to the range to relax?

When I go, I'm so amped up and my head is on a swivel so bad my hands shake at times. Mostly because I don't trust anyone in there. My adrenaline is pumping just like I was clearing a threat in a house. Relax?
Yep. I spend ALL my time keeping an eye on all the idiots there. And then I wonder why I am exhausted and have a pounding headache after a half hour or so. It is actually amazing to me that I haven't seen more injuries than I have, given how dense people are ... 🤷 Don't get me wrong -- I'm grateful I haven't seen more than I have but I'm here to tell you -- God looks out for stupid people. 🤦🤷🤷

Kid Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A person has to be really careful who he hunts and shoots with, because it could be hazardous to your health.
Absolutely, and some of the most flagrant safety (muzzle UNconscious) violations I remember were at fundraiser turkey shoots. Where folks of all ages and gun handling levels are, although supposedly unloaded, running around armed. Most T-shoots I've seen don't have an open-action rule and few that do, may only have posted near sign-up table and do little to enforce it. Probably from fear of losing supporters. Some that are courteous enough to keep actions open, can still seem to sweep the muzzle uncaringly at times, especially younger shooters.
Fortunately, I've never heard/seen of a negligent discharge, let alone an injury. Evidently, God does watch over some idiots at times.
Not to thread drift, but just my 2 cents...

Waltercat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back in the early 80's, a co-worker was at the Lexington range. That was when it was just a big dirt back stop and you set up bottles and such for targets. He turned to his left and saw a woman holding her neck and bleeding badly. She went to ground and never got up. They never found out where the round came from. If I recall she was with another person. Anyone recall this?

XYZ

Ribertarian
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
😎

IMG_2318.jpeg

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You go to the range to relax?

When I go, I'm so amped up and my head is on a swivel so bad my hands shake at times. Mostly because I don't trust anyone in there. My adrenaline is pumping just like I was clearing a threat in a house. Relax?
At an indoor range, probably I'm that way too.
But at a big outdoor range, where you may be the only one there, or the only other person there is on the rifle range while you are on the pistol range, it is kinda relaxing.

Only once at this range have I gone there and enough people were there that I turned around and left. Went back about 3 hours later and had the place all to myself.

Last edited:

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Went to H and H this weekend. The lane I had had a thin sliver of lead on the mat. Also on the floor it looked like a round hit it at an angle. I'd be very embarrassed if I had an errant shot hit the floor and ricochet up or downrange. Occasionally one will see bullet holes up high, or marks where one hit the wall, or even holes in the wall around each lane. There are many who don't know what they are doing. I've seen two people who got sliced by holding a semi automatic too high and one woman who shot herself in the arm long ago (it was the mid 90's.) In this age of YouTube and plenty of online resources, it's tough to see stuff like this. Best advice, know someone who is a new shooter, coach them. See someone doing something moronic at the range, talk to them or have a range officer talk to them. This is embarrassing for stuff like this to happen in our "community."

Latest posts

Top Bottom