Rearching Leaf Springs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
City Spring is correct. They were on Main, Near Western. I had a few sets of springs worked on over the years. However, I don’t think they are there anymore.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I’m at the same point. I was getting ‘brighted’ by other cars when I finally realized I was shooting my lights right in their eyes. I put a 1 inch block under my axles until I can get new springs.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Google can't find them. There is a Cannon Spring but I don't know if they do leaf springs.

Cannon Spring Works is the old Nyswonger (sp) spring company that used to be on WW Steels property on Reno many years ago. They can make about any coil spring you can imagine. But I’m pretty sure they don’t do automotive leaf springs.

They might be worth a call to reference someone though.

Another to check with would be Fleetpride.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!

Read this and understand it Or you will force me to take a picture.
The same Uncle that showed me how to rearch leaf springs showed me another trick.

Jack up your vehicle from the rear frame and allow the rear end to articulate all the way down against the shocks.

You will have your leaf springs resting.
Now take a pry bar and insert rubber wedges between the leafs.
You are basically making the leafs come in sooner.
Rubber wedges are made from cutting the sidewalls from old tires.. use a serrated knife to cut the sidewalls.

Ok a picture is in order.

restore ride height and or increase load carrying capacity.
001.JPG

Ryan500L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Fleetpride bought City Spring out probably 10 years. There out on west Reno. They seem to do good work but there not cheap, I had them make some long U-bolts up for me.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My old 1972 Land Rover's springs have gone flat. I was going to order a new set but, $160 shipping charge killed the deal . I can get them reached at Tulsa Spring for around $360. Has anyone every done this and how were the results ?

Do yourself a favor and get some airbags with an internal jounce so you can run them without air and not bottom out the suspension. I run them on my 2016 Tundra pulling a 8000lb + bumper pull RV along with the weight distribution hitch. Before adding the air bags, I had a little sag on while pulling the RV.
Now zero sag.
I can raise or lower the rear end of the truck around 3".
https://www.airliftcompany.com/shop/88101/

Took me about two hours to install including raising the truck, removing tires, and running the tubing to the rear bumper for the schrader valve to inflate.
The most difficult part was cutting the old Jounce off. You have to leave 3/4" of it. Found a sawzall did the job in a couple of minutes after trying several other methods. Long demolition blade.
Ran the same bags in my 95 Tacoma until 2016 with zero leaks and no failures. Kept about 5lbs of air in them for unloaded driving down the road.

Last edited:

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good lord that looks scary! ^^

Looks are deceiving.
Or are they .. probably a must see in person deal.
Believe it or not that is under my 57 chevy car.
Stuck them in there to pull my pontoon without sagging the rear too much.
Without them it looks like this with a load.
photobucket pics 014.JPG

Attachments

• 57 good friday 002.JPG
    57 good friday 002.JPG
    136.6 KB · Views: 116

Latest posts

Top Bottom