Recipes with Food Storage?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got a recipe that is a "sure" thing? A trick that makes something that can be "iffy" for beginners a little easier? Dutch oven recipes? Sourdough? Recipes that use FD/DH foods?

Yes, we have a thread dedicated to food preservation ... this one is dedicated to what to do with all that food you have put by ...

willystruck

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dustingaudners pickled egg recipe....I cant find it.

I think this is it>>>>>>>>

Pickled eggs

Don't use pickling spice. Vary quantities of this to your liking. Need a gallon jar.

3 dozen hard boiled eggs, peeled
1 quart distilled white vinegar
1 sliced onion
1 tablespoon mustard seed
1 tablespoon dill seed
1 tablespoon black pepper
6-10 cloves garlic
16 oz. jar of jalapeños - juice only
3-4 fresh jalapeños sliced
4-6 splashes hot sauce, or more if you want more kick
Put all into Gal jar and store for at least 2 weeks.

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I make my own alfredo sauce with this basic white sauce recipe from my mix a meal cookbook

mini mix
1/4 cup powdered milk
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup dehydrated margarine or butter powder -(i use butter powder)
1/8 teaspoon salt
just mix that up and you have a basic white sauce that you can add to from there
To make alfredo I add
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
pinch or two of italian seasoning
probably 1/2 to 1 tablespoon of garlic powder <-- its more or less to my own tastes so do what you like.

I then mix that with a ratio of 1/2 cup mix to one cup water. if you want more then 1 cup mix to two cups water and so on.
Its pretty good especially when I add a little bit of chicken broth instead of water

Make sure your water is pretty hot before you put the mix in and then I use a whisk to stir everything up so its not lumpy

To make a large batch of white sauce base:
4 cups powdered milk
4 cups flour
4 cups dehydrated butter or margarine powder
2 t salt

seal this stuff and some noodles up in a mylar bag along with a can of chicken and BOOM you got yourself a tasty post apocalyptic meal! Or you could just have it for dinner on Tuesdays like we do ;-)

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought I would share this information vid I found on storing food. I found it very informative.

Last edited by a moderator:

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
do you know that I have never had a "pickled egg"... what do they taste like? I love egg salad do they taste like that?

depending on the spices you use, you can pretty much tailor the flavor to what you like. It's the texture that I have a little trouble with -- they invariably are a little bit ... errrrrr ... :lookaroun ... hmmmmmmmmmmm ... "rubbery" ...

I just noticed the date on your post ... I gotta look in these threads more often ... I'm thinking about "unsticking" them ... Cuz I'm as guilty as the next person of not looking at the "stickied" threads ... :( What do you think??

Oh ... here are some pickled egg recipes ... I like the beet ones. They are pretty and a tad bit sweet/tangy ... and besides, I like beets ...

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/pickled-eggs/

[video]http://allrecipes.com/video/2520/pickled-eggs-ii/detail.aspx?prop24=RR_RelatedVideo[/video]

Latest posts

Top Bottom