Recommend me a weather radio

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looking for one that will charge a phone possibly, if not, I can get a power bank. I live in Moore, so its a necessity I have put off for too long. Not sure about the ALERT feature, as many people tell me they turn it off as they get too many alerts that are unnecessary, irrelavent etc

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm always gone a lot, spend a lot of time at ball field and auditoriums because of kids activities, so not always around a tv, and they arent always proactive about cancelling.

Arin Morris

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was checking into the same thing last night, but was looking for an app for my phone. Looks like there's a couple of options for Android and iPhone, but I have a Windows phone, so... not so many options.

nic6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been using the eton FRX3 for the last year, I really like it. Small, charges usb powered devices (cell), has a hand crank as backup charging, solar charging also, and NOAA FM/AM. I just let it sit in the window sill and it stays charged. Price is actually cheaper now ($37) on Amazon then when I bought it last year. Not sure if it does alerts, I just turn it on when I feel the need.

Jeff405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm always gone a lot, spend a lot of time at ball field and auditoriums because of kids activities, so not always around a tv, and they arent always proactive about cancelling.

I know what you mean, we were at Buck Thomas last year for practice and I was glued to my cell watching the radar. I thought for sure it was gonna break loose any min.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know what you mean, we were at Buck Thomas last year for practice and I was glued to my cell watching the radar. I thought for sure it was gonna break loose any min.

We play at Buck Thomas, and you can never tell whether MYBA will cancel or not. There are times we thought for sure we would play and get cancelled (usually after we get to ball field), and days that we couldnt believe they cancelled.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another option is to check with ur community Emergency management and see if they have a blackboard where when signed up on it will send out notices of storms and warnings to ur cell phone and/or landlines, ours isnt the best but will keep u inform of any possible bad weather approaching the area.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didnt think about that. I have gone through COMT/COML training, so I know the COML's for my county. I dont recall them talking about a blackboard, but I'll check.

BigDiezel

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They had one @ SAM's that was like $30 rechargeable and even a light on it. It was about the size of a small walkin talkie. It was pretty nice.

Latest posts

Top Bottom