Recommend me a weather radio

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock_21

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an older Midland. It still works fine. Make sure to get one that is "SAME" (specific area message encoding) compatible. This allows you to only program alerts for specific counties. I don't feel like I get a lot of nuisance alerts. My main reason for having one is to have something that will wake me up at night if things get bad. The National Weather Service has a good page on receivers.

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/nwr/nwrrcvr.htm

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Explain to me how a weather radio is any different than putting batteries in a clock radio? Serious question. I have always wondered. During any weather most stations change to the local news anyways.

Glock_21

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can set the weather radio up to alert you for watches/warnings for specific counties. Whenever the National Weather Service issues a watch/warning for your chosen county(s) the weather radio will go off with an alarm/alert. A normal clock radio will not wake you up in the middle of the night if a tornado warning is issued for your county. Could be the difference between waking up with some time to prepare and find safety or waking up to storm sirens going off.

Latest posts

Top Bottom