Recommend Tractor Upgrade From My Ford 4000

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

filbert

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Forget it, start at $30K.
45 HP, You are out of the toy tractors. You are looking at something that will do work, not and an oversize acreage lawn mower. That is anything under 40 horse, those are play things. Even a used but good condition will run $20K. Are you under 40 acres? If so so get a 35 hp or less, save money and do the same work.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
45 HP, You are out of the toy tractors. You are looking at something that will do work, not and an oversize acreage lawn mower. That is anything under 40 horse, those are play things. Even a used but good condition will run $20K. Are you under 40 acres? If so so get a 35 hp or less, save money and do the same work.
I am way under 40 acres but have to maintain a mile long gravel road that is a b*tch and it just seems that ive always got something I can do around here where a bigger tractor would come in handy.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Mahindra 35 HP with front loader. There is very little it can't do in that size. I"ve tilled 10 acre food plots, moved a ton of round bales with a little counter weight on the rear and done miles of road work.
Getting rear down force on the three point is not gonna happen in a compact tractor. Depending on the equipment your needing, you can get a PTO driven hydraulic pump to use that has an extension to mount the pump and still use the PTO for implements.
Mahindra is the only one I know of that offers factory rear hydraulics. Kubota and others need a retrofit kit and it's not cheap.
The new mahindra's have the same hitch as a skid steer on the front loader to quickly change from the bucket to another implement like a post hole drill with power down vs the three point that relies on gravity and the drill to pull it down.
Mahindra's have power down on the bucket which most do as well, but the quick change is a good option.
I'm pretty ate up with the Mahindra's, and my buddy bought one as well after using mine. Both of us have rented and used a 12' no till drill to put in food plots provided by the NRCS in our county.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dennis brought up a feature that is very important to me! Quick change loader attachments! We swap between buckets and spears a bunch around here. Both of our New Hollands and our Deere have quick changes. I think it's pretty standard equipment anymore. One of our New Hollands is compatible with our bobcat too.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dennis brought up a feature that is very important to me! Quick change loader attachments! We swap between buckets and spears a bunch around here. Both of our New Hollands and our Deere have quick changes. I think it's pretty standard equipment anymore. One of our New Hollands is compatible with our bobcat too.
Your correct. I think most new models of every manufacturer now has the quick change on the front loader.
Ours is a 2013 model. Bought it used at a Kubota dealer in Stillwater when it was 2 years old with only 200 hours on the meter. Pre quick change.
$10,000 out the door. Trade in and he didn't want that danged red thing on his lot with all the orange equipment.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've heard good things about Mahindra. Just a couple days ago I was talking to my Mom who lives in Tx. They know the folks that own a Mahindra dealership down by them and I guess he was trying to sell em one cuz he's overloaded with units. They've already got a good sized new Holland for their big work but thought they'd consider buying a small Mahindra with loader and belly mower. He priced em a 2019 emax 25s hst diesel 4x4 with loader, belly mower and box blade for $12,500. Guy told em it was like $20 retail. I think they're gonna buy one at that price. Looks like it'd bring every penny back if they wanted to sell it in s few years.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've heard good things about Mahindra. Just a couple days ago I was talking to my Mom who lives in Tx. They know the folks that own a Mahindra dealership down by them and I guess he was trying to sell em one cuz he's overloaded with units. They've already got a good sized new Holland for their big work but thought they'd consider buying a small Mahindra with loader and belly mower. He priced em a 2019 emax 25s hst diesel 4x4 with loader, belly mower and box blade for $12,500. Guy told em it was like $20 retail. I think they're gonna buy one at that price. Looks like it'd bring every penny back if they wanted to sell it in s few years.
Mahindra sells more tractors than any company in the world including John Deere.
They built jeeps for the US Army in India during WW II. They have been around for that long.
As I Understand it, there are zero tractors built in the US under 100 hp.
All including John Deere are built overseas and imported.

Latest posts

Top Bottom