Recommend Tractor Upgrade From My Ford 4000

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unless the rest of the tractor is beat to hell, you could swap in a diesel mill, and that 4000 would do just about everything you could want. My dad did that with his '68-ish 4000, installing the 3-cylinder diesel out of an early '90s New Holland backhoe. It needs an overhaul now (it has a leaky seal that pees oil, which is no bueno in hay), but he got about 25 years of hard work out of it.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've heard good things about Mahindra. Just a couple days ago I was talking to my Mom who lives in Tx. They know the folks that own a Mahindra dealership down by them and I guess he was trying to sell em one cuz he's overloaded with units. They've already got a good sized new Holland for their big work but thought they'd consider buying a small Mahindra with loader and belly mower. He priced em a 2019 emax 25s hst diesel 4x4 with loader, belly mower and box blade for $12,500. Guy told em it was like $20 retail. I think they're gonna buy one at that price. Looks like it'd bring every penny back if they wanted to sell it in s few years.
Does that one have DEF and DPF?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unless the rest of the tractor is beat to hell, you could swap in a diesel mill, and that 4000 would do just about everything you could want. My dad did that with his '68-ish 4000, installing the 3-cylinder diesel out of an early '90s New Holland backhoe. It needs an overhaul now (it has a leaky seal that pees oil, which is no bueno in hay), but he got about 25 years of hard work out of it.
Your dad was a frugal farmer it appears. Most farmers that made a living out of that tough life did exactly the same if they wanted to stay in that business very long.
Most folks would be amazed at the ingenuity that farmers and ranchers have to do on a daily basis to stay in the game.
My wife's uncle is fond of the story where he ran over a ditch he didn't see until it threw him off the seat and into the area behind the tractor between him and the disk. The cuff on his jeans that was common in that day caught on the tractor and it dragged him 1/4 mile until it hit a tree and staled. If that cuff had not been there he would have been sliced up.
Farming is #8 in the most dangerous jobs in America.

Want to know how other careers fared? Here’s a list of the most 25 most dangerous jobs in America.

1. Fishers and related fishing workers
  2. Logging workers
  3. Aircraft pilots and flight engineers
  4. Roofers
  5. Refuse and recyclable material collectors
  6. Structural iron and steel workers
  7. Driver/sales workers and truck drivers
  8. Farmers, ranchers and other agricultural managers
  9. First-line supervisors of landscaping, lawn service and groundskeeping workers
  10. Electrical power-line installers and repairers
  11. Miscellaneous agricultural workers
  12. First-line supervisors of construction trades and extraction workers
  13. Helpers, construction trades
  14. Maintenance and repair workers, general
  15. Grounds maintenance workers
  16. Construction laborers
  17. First-line supervisors of mechanics, installers and repairers
  18. Police and sheriff’s patrol officers
  19. Operation engineers and other construction equipment operators
  20. Mining machine operators
  21. Taxi drivers and chauffeurs
  22. Athletes, coaches, umpires and related workers
  23. Painters, construction and maintenance
  24. Firefighters
  25. Electricians
https://www.ajc.com/news/world/thes...bs-america-study-says/pKusOItm8JG6m0P4SCrXuN/

264killer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMG_1133.JPG
I have a TYM 43 HP Diesel 2013 4 wheel drive quick detach loader & bucket 720 hours. 2 hydra on rear. Saw the other day TYM is building some MAHINDRA . $13'000.00 405 381 2204 PS 4 cylinder Perkins diesel. Had the complete fluid & filter change at 500 hours. & has shuttle shift Love the tilt cylinder on the 3 point with a box blade

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unless you really need a 4WD, that's an increase in purchase price and maintenance that you might want to reconsider.

Just a thought. :drunk2:
4WD in a compact tractor is a must have if there is a front loader.
a guy I worked with bought a 2WD New Holland in an effort to save a buck. He couldn't get it up the the hill to the barn on a wet grass.
The front loader put too much weight up front and the rear wheels were not effective. Reference my post about needing weight on the three point before moving things.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
4WD in a compact tractor is a must have if there is a front loader.
a guy I worked with bought a 2WD New Holland in an effort to save a buck. He couldn't get it up the the hill to the barn on a wet grass.
Not everyone has a hill(s) to deal with, or needs to use a tractor in wet weather.

If so, then you might really need one.
:drunk2:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not everyone has a hill(s) to deal with, or needs to use a tractor in wet weather.

If so, then you might really need one.
:drunk2:
In reality, the front loader on a 2WD is too heavy and the rear wheels have not traction.
In the front assist models AKA 4WD they do 70 % of the work. I've had to replace both front tires on my mahindra because I've hauled too many heavy loads and the tires cracked around the lugs.

264killer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I posted about dipping water out of the creek . Did not have front axle engaged weight of water in bucket pulled tractor right in the creek if front axle had been engaged the brakes would have stopped it even when the weight shifted of the rear wheels; this was my 50 hp TYM

Latest posts

Top Bottom