Remington 870 or 1100? Which one?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gaseous maximus

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
870, not really very much to break and if it does parts are available. Steel receiver, can be a biggie, especially to a mossberg 500 owner, whose aluminum receiver just broke, and yes, it can happen, I've seen it. Imo, many of the government decisions over the last few years have slightly under whelming.

gaseous maximus

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Lord, MoBoost, you wern't supposed to ask that. Its been !8 years or so ago and in truth it, was a 20 gauge with one operating arm instead of two. I mention this because, the bolt bound ( binded?) on a rail on the inside of the receiver, which then broke. Quite probably, (Your going to make me admit this arn't you?), if it had the two arms, common today, It might not have happened. Hows that for weaseling? OK PROBABLY wouldn't have. My point was that steel can be welded, if need be. The mossberg couldn't, at least by the finest welders, available at an AFB on the S.E. side of okc. Incidentally, there was in shotgun news, a few years ago, an add offering some steel receivered mossbergs, supposedly overruns from a navy, or some gov. agency, contract.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, single bar was not a good design.
What exactly broke on the receiver? It is not a load bearing part a-la ar15: some external force has to be applied for damage. BTW, have you tried contacting Mossberg on the issue? I couldn't find any other report of failed receiver - I am very intrigued.
According to my research no steel receivers were ever made, just some rumors originated at a pawn shop.

gaseous maximus

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Yes, single bar was not a good design.
What exactly broke on the receiver? It is not a load bearing part a-la ar15: some external force has to be applied for damage. BTW, have you tried contacting Mossberg on the issue? I couldn't find any other report of failed receiver - I am very intrigued.
According to my research no steel receivers were ever made, just some rumors originated at a pawn shop.
Don't recall exactly what failed, it seems there is a fairly thin rail of metal running with the bolt, (is this correct?) don,t remember which side. But I do remember there was a chunk gone at the rear. It appeared that the front of the bolt had got out of line and taken it out as the shooter tried to close it. I said they couldn't be welded, they can, but the area is then EXTREMELY soft. Ashamed to admit it but this is what I had done. I then milled it back to original profile, and gave it back to my pardner, at the time, who had a pawn shop. Its been so many years ago that I can't recall a lot of the details. The old mind ain,t what it never was. I do distinctly remember that ad, just can't remember when.

HackerF15E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mossberg just doesn't have these or other flaws (I'll give you pistol grip/safety part). It is the only shotgun listed under Active duty for all US Armed Forces except for Marines that are switching(ed?) to Benelli.

Where did you come up with this?

The Rem M870 is still in active use with the USAF, government-purchased and government-issued. Here's just one link from this year as an example:

http://www.barksdale.af.mil/news/story_print.asp?id=123240592

Pictures:
http://www.barksdale.af.mil/photos/mediagallery.asp?galleryID=9092&page=18

shotty

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never did warm up to the mossy because of it's controls, learned hunting on an Ithica and 870. Top safety feels weird, thumb clicking off safety while finger is on trigger. I always had to reposition my thumb to get a good grip. 870, finger rests on safety and trigger well. Safety moved off and finger on trigger in a smooth motion. Slide release? 870, still using the same finger, with the mossy, which is it? ring/middle finger. But frankly, the only time I can remember using this control is after the hunt to clear the gun. I do like the gate and lifter on a mossy reminds me of my old 37. I certainly wouldnt call a mossberg a POS just because I didn't like controls or know how to work them properly.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did I hear SD or SHTF Shotgun?

I say 870MCS:

i29.photobucket.com_albums_c253_jasondcunningham_870_1.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom