Review: Wilshire Gun Club

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Point of clarification: only the 101 yd range is $28. The other ranges are $15

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$15 for a pistol lane is really not that bad.

As for the size of the bays, I've not been to Wilshire Guns yet, but GC and I have shot at several pistol ranges outside the OKC metro area (like in the Dallas/Ft.Worth area) and it is the norm for bays to be really, really tight. While it may seem uncomfortable to folks who are used to the old bays at H&H, or shooting outside at a place like Henry's or Canadian Valley Gun Range, it is not inherently unsafe ... It's all a matter of what you are used to.

ARnut

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
dropped by today to check the place and stop by Cold hand arms(that place is heaven with all the toys in there), it was nice coming in to a place and be a tad chilly, especially since I am burning up everyday of the week welding. Didn't do any shooting so I didn't check out the ranges but plan on it in the near future. The prices are a little high, but you get what you pay for. If I am by myself I spend less than an hour shooting. Only time it would be a problem is if I went with a friend. Glad to have a nicer option than H and H.

de-evoproject

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To be perfectly honest, I wouldn't mind a time limit, but for an hour it seems really short and expensive. Even if it was a 2 hour limit, I would feel like its a little more realistic.

I understand that to have a place with that many nice features, it cost money and I would be willing to pay above the average market price for the nicer and longer range. However, with the lack of options for big gun shooters and the premium being SO much over the rest of the market, I can not justify it. They seemed really eager to listen to feedback so I will make a trip back out in a few months when they have had time to sort it out but without some definitive steps in the right direction, that may be the only other trip other than to see Steve at cold hand.

MikeM

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went to see what all the excitement was all about today. I also had a couple of firearms that I was going to compare pricing before buying. One of them was the Mossberg Blackwater 500 or similar model. Imagine my surprise when I was told they hadn't ordered any Mossberg stock. After that I thought I would look at handguns. They had a decent selection on each table for comparison and the pick up and hold aspect is a good idea. I'm just not sure I want to buy the hand gun that a lot of people have played with. They stayed with the old standbys and I didn't see any high end firearms. So I went to look at magazines. I was hoping they would have CZ mags. No such luck, Just the standard M&P, Sig and Glock. Maybe a couple other brands.
I'm not going to be much nicer than that. I went to Big Boys Guns last weekend for their opening and it was a hell of lot better. I was given a tour of the ranges and there never was a time where a sales person wasn't available to answer my questions. I was very impressed with Big Boys firearm selection. I didn't use Wilshire's range but I did shoot at Big Boys and even though they don't have the long ranges, the do have air conditioning and the digital readout for your target distance. And the range prices are way better. Since both Wilshire and Big Boys are about the same distance from where I live, Big Boys will get my business.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went this afternoon. It was nice and clean. I wasn't a fan of getting an armband just for walking in the door. I was told if I ordered a drink, they'd cut it off so I wouldn't be allowed on the range. I'm walking in not carrying any gun cases. If I have no intention to rent anything, just allow me to disqualify myself upon entrance.

Now I didn't look at prices on ANYTHING, so I won't comment on price. There were a few things that stood out to me. First, by looking at their rifle selection, it was obvious they are trying to cater to a higher end customer. Not that it's a bad thing, but it seems a little like a limiting thing. Second, they have a few Amsec safes on the floor. This is a quality brand and I'm glad to see them offer it. But I only saw FV and SF series safes. When you are marketing exotic 10/22s, SCAR 17s and Kriss Vectors, these customers aren't buying starter guns. These people you're trying to sell to are moderately along into their collection. Those people aren't buying a 60x30 SF series or a larger but lower rated FV. I understand a BF is a little more investment for the floor space and an HS is even more extreme, but that really looks like the type of customer they are after.

Now the biggest flaw I saw makes me think the person that approved the design needs a swift kick to the nuts. There is no place to view the range. Really? So you're going to have the largest machinegun rental on the planet and not allow bystanders to see them get fired (and thus want to rent them also)? To me, this is a HUGE mistake. I mentioned this to Steve and he thought there was a possibility of maybe installed some cameras and a couple of large TV screens in different areas so people could view. That would be an improvement. But if someone rents that minigun, they should be announcing over the intercom they are about to fire it so a crowd can enjoy it. Major disappointment.

On a positive note, Steve did mention that the range could handle .50 BMG. This surprised the heck out me. That is impressive for an indoor range. This fact alone will likely get me to shoot there; not often, but at least when I want to bring out my big Barrett.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went this afternoon. It was nice and clean. I wasn't a fan of getting an armband just for walking in the door. I was told if I ordered a drink, they'd cut it off so I wouldn't be allowed on the range. I'm walking in not carrying any gun cases. If I have no intention to rent anything, just allow me to disqualify myself upon entrance.

Now I didn't look at prices on ANYTHING, so I won't comment on price. There were a few things that stood out to me. First, by looking at their rifle selection, it was obvious they are trying to cater to a higher end customer. Not that it's a bad thing, but it seems a little like a limiting thing. Second, they have a few Amsec safes on the floor. This is a quality brand and I'm glad to see them offer it. But I only saw FV and SF series safes. When you are marketing exotic 10/22s, SCAR 17s and Kriss Vectors, these customers aren't buying starter guns. These people you're trying to sell to are moderately along into their collection. Those people aren't buying a 60x30 SF series or a larger but lower rated FV. I understand a BF is a little more investment for the floor space and an HS is even more extreme, but that really looks like the type of customer they are after.

Now the biggest flaw I saw makes me think the person that approved the design needs a swift kick to the nuts. There is no place to view the range. Really? So you're going to have the largest machinegun rental on the planet and not allow bystanders to see them get fired (and thus want to rent them also)? To me, this is a HUGE mistake. I mentioned this to Steve and he thought there was a possibility of maybe installed some cameras and a couple of large TV screens in different areas so people could view. That would be an improvement. But if someone rents that minigun, they should be announcing over the intercom they are about to fire it so a crowd can enjoy it. Major disappointment.

On a positive note, Steve did mention that the range could handle .50 BMG. This surprised the heck out me. That is impressive for an indoor range. This fact alone will likely get me to shoot there; not often, but at least when I want to bring out my big Barrett.

YOU CAN RENT A MINIGUN!!!!! shut up and take my money!!!! (how much)

Latest posts

Top Bottom