Revolver; Antique, or viable 21st Century weapon!?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kind of off topic and probably mostly subjective, but how do the speed strips compare to a speed loader? I've got a speed loader for my SP101; would speed strips be a faster way to reload?

I carry a gun, but not because I think I need one. If I need a gun to go someplace, I'll stay home instead.

Great comment.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Kind of off topic and probably mostly subjective, but how do the speed strips compare to a speed loader? I've got a speed loader for my SP101; would speed strips be a faster way to reload?

Great comment.

No, the speed strips aren't as fast, but they do conceal better.

In the heat of things, I doubt that the difference in their respective "swiftness of deployment" would be that noticeable anyway.

The thing I like about the speed strip over a speedloader is the certainty. They way I have my speedstrips loaded (first two holes charged, skip one, next three charged) I know for certain I'm gonna get those first two rounds loaded. After that, it is a possiblity that under stress, I could actually drop that strip.

However...

The tolerances are so tight on a J frame, the speedloader kinda binds up. If I were to inadvertantly drop it, I've now loaded ZERO rounds into my empty revolver.

When carrying a J frame on the belt, I carry a speed strip and a speedloader. When I'm just pocket carrying my EDC model 38 Bodyguard, I just carry the strip in the opposite front pocket.

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Which one did you go with...the IHL from Dillon? Nice pouch! :thumb:

awww.dillonprecision.com_uimages_missing_images_18308_ihl_speed_strip_wallet_1.jpg

That be the one!!! Steve

TallPrairie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I'm just pocket carrying my EDC model 38 Bodyguard, I just carry the strip in the opposite front pocket.

Ah, interesting. I carry the speed strip in the strong side back pocket, same side as the snubby. I figure I'll instinctively switch the snub to the off hand for loading, and manipulate the ammo (strip) with the strong hand.

There is a school that says you should only put 4 rounds in the speed strip -- two, a space, and two -- so you can accomplish a 80% reload with just two "strokes" of the speed strip. Quite a bit faster than the 5-round reload (three strokes). I express no opinion on which way's best.

Probably need to get behind cover before using a speed strip either way. I always carry a strip when I CCW a snub, but I try to think in terms of the five rounds in the gun, to which I'll probably be limited.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ah, interesting. I carry the speed strip in the strong side back pocket, same side as the snubby. I figure I'll instinctively switch the snub to the off hand for loading, and manipulate the ammo (strip) with the strong hand.

That's not a bad idea, but both of my back pockets are already full. :rolleyes2

All four of my pockets carry gear.

OFF DUTY I carry the following...

Front right: Smith & Wesson J frame model 38 Airweight Bodyguard in DeSantis "Nemesis" pocket holster.

Back right: Looper Leather wallet/badge case.

Back left: Looper Leather notepad and cotton hankie. :D

Front left: Bianchi speed strip, Schrade Uncle Henry model 55UH folding knife and Surefire L4 "Digital Lumamax" flashlight clipped to pocket edge.

ON DUTY I carry the exact same gear...only the front pocket carry items are simply reversed and the Surefire gets clipped inside a thigh pocket alongside a CRKT M16-13M folder.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with the previous comments about the viability of a revolver in today's day and age: light weight, ease of use, reliability, and a goodly punch in a small package. Those alone make the revolver a solid option for CCW, even taking into consideration the drawbacks (lower round count, longer reload times, etc.)

I'm surprised though no one has mentioned the concept of carrying a S&W 940 (9mm) snubby with moon clips. For all the talk of speed strips and speed loaders, and the disadvantages of those methods of reloading, I'd think that simply dropping in a fully-loaded moon clip would be the way to go. Granted, the bulk of five 9mm rounds in a moon clip would be something to consider, but if you're already carrying a speed loader... :anyone:

bratch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I found this post over on the Blue forum. I think it sums it up. ;)

I carry a gun, but not because I think I need one. If I need a gun to go someplace, I'll stay home instead. Assuming you get some practice, it's hard to imagine a survivable self-defense scenario in which a J-frame won't suffice. I'm aware that some guys feel the need for 17 rounds of 9mm, but can't imagine what's going through their minds. The OK Corral, maybe? What's the army of assailants you're defending yourself from, doing while you're pulling the trigger and spraying bullets? Painting those silly silhouette targets on themselves? Grow up. I usually pocket carry my sub-12oz 340PD or 360PD, and don't feel at all vulnerable. I don't even carry a reload, figuring if I have that much time I'd spend it better running as fast as my feet will take me.

Wow what a condescending attitude he has towards those who think that it is possible to be attacked by more than one person or to run into someone who doesn’t know they are supposed to go down from one shot out of a J-frame.

Wish I could remember if it was the NYCPD study or the FBI study on assaults on officers but the break down on number of attackers was: Most common: 2, second most common: 3, and a tie for third most common was 4 and 1. They were as likely to get attacked by four people as they were by one person not good odds with only 5 rounds.

Then we have the Keith Borders incident where Officer Borders fired 35+ rounds out of his Glock 21 hitting the perpetrator 9 times (6 in the torso) before finally killing him with a head shot on the tenth hit. If he was only carrying a Jframe he would have had to reload 8 times in the middle of a gunfight against someone armed with a shotgun, .357 and 9mm. Officer Borders experience is definitely an outlier of what is normally encountered but as people like to say “Statistics mean nothing when you are the exception.”

http://www.lawofficer.com/news-and-...l;jsessionid=882B276C4AC68333EACB6D070FC9263D

I think a Jframe will help get you out of a lot of bad situations but I’m not going to disillusion myself in thinking that it will solve all problems. With the increasing trend in multiple attackers I think a single Jframe with no reload is a bad idea if it would be possible to carry something larger.

Now in full disclosure: I carry a 642 as a Bug most of the time and as a primary during the work week due to my dress code but once I can change to something more suitable I put on either a G34 or G19 with two reloads.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with the previous comments about the viability of a revolver in today's day and age: light weight, ease of use, reliability, and a goodly punch in a small package. Those alone make the revolver a solid option for CCW, even taking into consideration the drawbacks (lower round count, longer reload times, etc.)

I'm surprised though no one has mentioned the concept of carrying a S&W 940 (9mm) snubby with moon clips. For all the talk of speed strips and speed loaders, and the disadvantages of those methods of reloading, I'd think that simply dropping in a fully-loaded moon clip would be the way to go. Granted, the bulk of five 9mm rounds in a moon clip would be something to consider, but if you're already carrying a speed loader... :anyone:

Yeah, a full moon clip is pretty fast. Drop a couple in a closed speedloader pouch and you should be ok.

However...

The only "bad" thing I see with full moon clips is that they are so delicate. If you bumped up against something rigid and bent one of them, this could cause your revolver to hang up.

:nono1:

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow what a condescending attitude he has towards those who think that it is possible to be attacked by more than one person or to run into someone who doesn’t know they are supposed to go down from one shot out of a J-frame.

Wish I could remember if it was the NYCPD study or the FBI study on assaults on officers but the break down on number of attackers was: Most common: 2, second most common: 3, and a tie for third most common was 4 and 1. They were as likely to get attacked by four people as they were by one person not good odds with only 5 rounds.

Then we have the Keith Borders incident where Officer Borders fired 35+ rounds out of his Glock 21 hitting the perpetrator 9 times (6 in the torso) before finally killing him with a head shot on the tenth hit. If he was only carrying a Jframe he would have had to reload 8 times in the middle of a gunfight against someone armed with a shotgun, .357 and 9mm. Officer Borders experience is definitely an outlier of what is normally encountered but as people like to say “Statistics mean nothing when you are the exception.”

http://www.lawofficer.com/news-and-...l;jsessionid=882B276C4AC68333EACB6D070FC9263D

I think a Jframe will help get you out of a lot of bad situations but I’m not going to disillusion myself in thinking that it will solve all problems. With the increasing trend in multiple attackers I think a single Jframe with no reload is a bad idea if it would be possible to carry something larger.

Now in full disclosure: I carry a 642 as a Bug most of the time and as a primary during the work week due to my dress code but once I can change to something more suitable I put on either a G34 or G19 with two reloads.

Yeah, but this guy was looking at it from a "mature" gentleman's perspective as a "mind my own business" kind of person. Obviously he stays away from "bad" places that attract the type of scum that prey upon innocent sheep...bars, clubs, etc.

If the only "hostile" environment you frequent is Wal-Mart or the grocery store, I think a J frame is sufficient. ;)

I personally don't kick in doors any more and when I'm on duty I feel just as safe with a good ol' fashioned wheel gun as I do my plastic bottom feeder that you can load on Sunday and shoot all week.

If I were working the streets again, and responding to calls like the one that officer Borders encountered, it might be another story.

Latest posts

Top Bottom