Revolver; Antique, or viable 21st Century weapon!?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chas

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Antique - Yes
Viable weapon- Yes
Obselete - No

I don't feel undergunned at all!

S&W pre model 27
IMG]
ai619.photobucket.com_albums_tt280_1chas11_100_0161.jpg

IMG]
ai619.photobucket.com_albums_tt280_1chas11_100_0159.jpg

I normally carry a 4" S&W model 15 IWB and a 638 as a bug.
All the above have been 100% reliable.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not going to set this up as a poll, or as a bashing contest over whats better revolver or auto, this is simply a discussion, as we have some very knowledgeable minds here that have been somewhat dormant and need to refreash themselves with an open discussion about revolvers. Also please refrain from getting into a bashing contest over the "Hillary Hole"vs Older S&W. Also feel free to chat up about all the other quality revolvers out there, Colt's, Ruger's, and such.

OK, So lets hear it!!!!

To me they serve little purpose as they do nothing that a semi-auto doesn't do better, if not MUCH better. I can see them being used for hunting or deep CCW though. I think S&W has gone by the wayside in terms of the direction they need to go with their revolvers. They should offer more carry friendly options, night sights, no locks, go back to no mim etc.

That being said, I love the looks of a classic S&W or Colt wheelgun.

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This, and another recent thread, got me recalling some "good old days" living in Colorado several years ago. At that time my favorite "Woods" and sometimes carry gun was a S&W Mountain Gun in .44 Mag. I rarely carried magnum loads in it even on extended backpacking trips and always felt I would have preferred a true .44 Special or .45 ACP revolver. Not long ago I found one of these recent Smiths and decided I would pick it up to fill a void. This is not mine, but an example.

[Broken External Image]

I'm not taking a photo of mine until I've fixed a few things on it and get some decent leather for it. The "lock" has gotta go and the "plug" will fill the hole. I'm also gonna put a Tyler T-grip on it (I'm old enough to remember Melvin personally). Should make a nice field gun.

Then...I started thinking...I carried the Mtn Gun in an IWB holster comfortably and this M22 just weighs four ounces more than my 3" M64 K frame. Maybe I need to get some carry leather also.

Anyway, it gives me a project to play with, Maybe I'll occasionally leave the SIGs at home and partner this with my 442.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just like most things, they are both tools that shine in some areas, and are dull in others.

I am not a big fan of revolvers (have 2), but I will say, how often do you hear someone say, "I need some help with a revolver malfunction."

So;

Antique? Yes, some are and so are some autos.
Viable 21st Century weapon? Ill return with a rhetorical question, Does it still do the job it was intended to do?

Gideon

Formerly SirROFL
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wonder if the inventor of the sword ever asked the same of the knife a few thousand years ago?

Yet here we are today, most people carry knives, not many carry swords.

Latest posts

Top Bottom