Revolver; Antique, or viable 21st Century weapon!?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LtCCMPUnit42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I never could shoot or load a revolver as well as I could a semi auto. I can count on one hand and have three fingers left over the number of Troopers who carry a revolver. And I might be overestimating that. I cant remember the last officer of any department I saw carrying a revolver. Another thing I thought of...no military I know of has used a revolver for a sidearm in the last 100 years or so. Sorry GED...not meaning any offense.

You, sir are correct. I carried a S&W Mod. 686 from '93 'till '07, cried and complained for a year when I had to give it up, been carrying a pair of glocks since. Still qualify w/both and still qualify 10 pts higher consistently w/686, because I've put more rounds through it (over 30'000 rounds & 2 rebuilds). My Glock still can't match my s&W at 25 to 50 yds, though you and I both know that most all gunfights are at less, I still liked having the range, and the .357 is one thumpin' s.o.b.. Glock is easier to handle though, my wife loves to shoot them both.Have to admit, the Glocks are more dependable than I would have ever thought, and I really tried to find fault w/them. Never failed to fire and my back up is not treated well, though it gets claened every time my primary duty weapon does it sees a LOT more abuse. Baby Glock is a good 'diller killer under 10yds.

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Viable but very limited in todays world of Multi crooks smashing doors. I think I'd want a little more than 5 or 6 rounds.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
pretty obvious by comments posted already. revolver has been outclassed long ago as a duty weapon. but still the best as a CCW.
not a back up gun, different requirements.

true a revolver is easier to shoot by those that don't practice much. but what about those that shoot all the time and still choose to CCW a revolver?

not much disputing, best weapon is the one on your person. a .22LR on you is better than that .357 at home.

for those of us that's not used to wearing a duty belt and/or have to dress in business attire. an ultra lightweight CCW can make the difference of being able to tolerate a CCW on your person all day long or not.

being able to drop 340PD into front pocket without your pants sagging down is a wonderful experience.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would say viable. I've owned several versions of both revolver and semi-auto, and have found that I'm a much, much better shot with a revolver. So it only makes sense to me to choose the one I can shoot the best. I've gotten rid of all of my semis - except my Mark II - and keep an SP101 .357 Mag with CT grips for my home defense gun, while the .44 Mag Redhawk stays locked up. There's many benefits to the mag-fed pistols, but the mere idea of the wheelgun being obsolete seems nuts.

For the record, I still want a good .45acp.....

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I found this post over on the Blue forum. I think it sums it up. ;)

I carry a gun, but not because I think I need one. If I need a gun to go someplace, I'll stay home instead. Assuming you get some practice, it's hard to imagine a survivable self-defense scenario in which a J-frame won't suffice. I'm aware that some guys feel the need for 17 rounds of 9mm, but can't imagine what's going through their minds. The OK Corral, maybe? What's the army of assailants you're defending yourself from, doing while you're pulling the trigger and spraying bullets? Painting those silly silhouette targets on themselves? Grow up. I usually pocket carry my sub-12oz 340PD or 360PD, and don't feel at all vulnerable. I don't even carry a reload, figuring if I have that much time I'd spend it better running as fast as my feet will take me.

The only part of his statement I disagree with is the reload part. I DO carry a reload...at least one for every gun I carry. But then again...he's even right about that. From a civilian's point of view. If you have time to reload, why not spend that time buildin' some yunder in yer ass and gettin' some gone?! :ugh2:

But...the cop in me says carry a reload...reload empty revolver/pistol...call 911 and hold bad guy until 5-0 arrives. :police2:

I don't suggest this practice to everyday Joes, however. :disappoin Get to safety...away from bad guy(s) and call 911.

Dead heroes make lousy witnesses.

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I found this post over on the Blue forum. I think it sums it up. ;)

I carry a gun, but not because I think I need one. If I need a gun to go someplace, I'll stay home instead. Assuming you get some practice, it's hard to imagine a survivable self-defense scenario in which a J-frame won't suffice. I'm aware that some guys feel the need for 17 rounds of 9mm, but can't imagine what's going through their minds. The OK Corral, maybe? What's the army of assailants you're defending yourself from, doing while you're pulling the trigger and spraying bullets? Painting those silly silhouette targets on themselves? Grow up. I usually pocket carry my sub-12oz 340PD or 360PD, and don't feel at all vulnerable. I don't even carry a reload, figuring if I have that much time I'd spend it better running as fast as my feet will take me.

The only part of his statement I disagree with is the reload part. I DO carry a reload...at least one for every gun I carry. But then again...he's even right about that. From a civilian's point of view. If you have time to reload, why not spend that time buildin' some yunder in yer ass and gettin' some gone?! :ugh2:

But...the cop in me says carry a reload...reload empty revolver/pistol...call 911 and hold bad guy until 5-0 arrives. :police2:

I don't suggest this practice to everyday Joes, however. :disappoin Get to safety...away from bad guy(s) and call 911.

Dead heroes make lousy witnesses.

Absolutely the best post in this thread!!!! I have been carrying my Glock 26(w/19 mag and sleeve) for most of this Fall/Winter season.Last week I decided to carry my summer gun(340 pd) and fell back in love with it.I also carry 1 speed strip in the carrier GED put me on to.Light weight/low profile is good!! Steve

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Absolutely the best post in this thread!!!! I have been carrying my Glock 26(w/19 mag and sleeve) for most of this Fall/Winter season.Last week I decided to carry my summer gun(340 pd) and fell back in love with it.I also carry 1 speed strip in the carrier GED put me on to.Light weight/low profile is good!! Steve

Which one did you go with...the IHL from Dillon? Nice pouch! :thumb:

awww.dillonprecision.com_uimages_missing_images_18308_ihl_speed_strip_wallet_1.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom