Revolver Question. 442 vs 642

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1911Nut

Marksman
Reaction score
Okay guys, I am new to the revolver world. What I am wondering is this. I have been looking at the S&W 442 & 642 online. The only thing different I can find is that one comes only in stainless and the other in flat black and blued. Is there any other difference besides that in the two guns?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nope, same gun, different finishes. Neither is stainless or blued; both are alloy-frames and the finish on both the 442 and 642 is a laquer-type job down at the factory.

1911Nut

Marksman
Reaction score
Thanks! I have been reading something about a "internal lock" or something, and that most people say to stay away from them... What are they, and what is the story about em?

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks! I have been reading something about a "internal lock" or something, and that most people say to stay away from them... What are they, and what is the story about em?

The internal lock is badly designed and has caused lockups of the gun. When I had a lock version, I took the sideplate off and removed the flag so it could not be a problem. These days though I thought S&W has been making no lock versions, so the easiest way to deal with this is to simply buy a no lock version. In my opinion it is worth doing. There are others who have had the lock version and don't see it as a problem, but when I had mine apart I couldn't believe how badly designed it is. When locked it forces the flag in the hammer channel and locks the gun. When unlocked it only removes that force and relies on a small and flimsy spring to unlock it. Any problem or weakness in that spring, and your gun is locked up and useless. Just turning my original 442 upside down caused the flag to partially enter the locking channel and this was a new gun with a new spring. Once I saw that it came out. I later sold that 442 and bought a new 442 when they were offered with no lock.

Good luck,

Alan

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi,

I am getting it brand new, so how can I check and see if it has the lock or not?

Easy, just look above the cylinder release - lock models with have a hole and place where you can unlock/lock the gun.

What is your goal for the gun? Are you planning to pocket carry it? I only mention this because I used to carry the 442 in the pocket nearly 80% of the time, but it was replaced with a Kahr PM9 and I prefer it much more in this role. Kahr makes a lower priced CM9 that is the same size as the PM9.

Good luck,

Alan

1911Nut

Marksman
Reaction score
Hi,

Easy, just look above the cylinder release - lock models with have a hole and place where you can unlock/lock the gun.

What is your goal for the gun? Are you planning to pocket carry it? I only mention this because I used to carry the 442 in the pocket nearly 80% of the time, but it was replaced with a Kahr PM9 and I prefer it much more in this role. Kahr makes a lower priced CM9 that is the same size as the PM9.

Good luck,

Alan

I will pocket carry some, and CC is in a IWB and possibly a OWB, and also just have it in my console for a backup / car gun. Right now I pocket carry an LCP which I don't plan to totally replace, I just don't have a revolver right now, and have always loved the look of them and how they shoot. I just thought it would be a nice addition to the stable, and also thought it might be something the wife would like and could maybe CC.

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi,

I will pocket carry some, and CC is in a IWB and possibly a OWB, and also just have it in my console for a backup / car gun. Right now I pocket carry an LCP which I don't plan to totally replace, I just don't have a revolver right now, and have always loved the look of them and how they shoot. I just thought it would be a nice addition to the stable, and also thought it might be something the wife would like and could maybe CC.

Good plan; for those roles a 642/442 would be super!!

Thanks,

Alan

Latest posts

Top Bottom