Revolver Question. 442 vs 642

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1911Nut

Marksman
Reaction score
I am actually picking one up from Sooner State Pawn on Monday... Thanks for all the advice and stuff guys! Much appreciated...

Plus I hate the fact the list the cash price online... How am I supposed to pay cash when I live far away lol... I know I could mail in a money order, but that is a bunch of bs for just a little price cut... SSP has them for $344.99. If they aren't in stock shipping is cheap...

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Now this is just my opinion, an it is backed by facts. The airweights and the other small J-frame alloy guns will not be a fun gun to shoot alot. They have been known to crack at the bottom of the frame under the barrel. If that happens, you may be able to get new one from S&W. That won't happen forever. To get good with any handgun it takes practice, something your not really going to be able to do. Those little light weight guns hurt to shoot for very long.

My suggestion would be to get an all steel(blued or stainless) J-frame so you'll be able to get good at shooting her. A steel framed one can be carried just as easily as an alloy J-frame.

1911Nut

Marksman
Reaction score
Now this is just my opinion, an it is backed by facts. The airweights and the other small J-frame alloy guns will not be a fun gun to shoot alot. They have been known to crack at the bottom of the frame under the barrel. If that happens, you may be able to get new one from S&W. That won't happen forever. To get good with any handgun it takes practice, something your not really going to be able to do. Those little light weight guns hurt to shoot for very long.

My suggestion would be to get an all steel(blued or stainless) J-frame so you'll be able to get good at shooting her. A steel framed one can be carried just as easily as an alloy J-frame.

That is some good advice... Thanks a lot!

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
been feeding my 340PD a steady diet of full house .357mag and .38 both with no issues.
did call S&W to check if it was ok to put that many rounds down the pipe of my 340PD.
S&W said no problems .... shoot away ... so that's what I've been doing.

fact is if one doesn't practice ... how can one hope to be accurate under pressure.
shoot a little, carry a lot does not work for me....

much better to shoot a lot with what you are carrying a lot!

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
been feeding my 340PD a steady diet of full house .357mag and .38 both with no issues.
did call S&W to check if it was ok to put that many rounds down the pipe of my 340PD.
S&W said no problems .... shoot away ... so that's what I've been doing.

fact is if one doesn't practice ... how can one hope to be accurate under pressure.
shoot a little, carry a lot does not work for me....

much better to shoot a lot with what you are carrying a lot!

CY, I do not doubt you ability to practice the way you do with that "Babbit", I do hope your blessed with years an years of the ability before "ARTHUR-ITIS" creeps into those joints, no I'm not making fun of you, as I've already shot one of those with nothing more than +P, after two rounds my 50+yr old left hand hurt for a week afterwards, an I did no shooting that day after that!!

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
ya... know what you mean... for shooting .357 with a ultra light revolver can be a handful.
I stay away from painful loads. for instance .357 bulk ammo from Walmart are not fun to shoot. very painful ... 10 shots of that is all I care to shoot.

.357 loads that I favor are slightly stronger than +P. if your shots are not controllable then it's worthless. if you cannot put all five shots inside a pie plate at 10yds. it's time to move on to another load.

one huge advantage of a revolver vs auto pistol is ability to shoot exotic self defensive loads with having to shooting 200+ rounds to prove reliability.

you are right of course.... most folks are better off choosing steel J-frame in terms of control.
everything is a trade-off .. can you bear to CCW that much weight on your person.

for me putting up with recoil from a 12oz pistol along with extra range time is the price you pay to CCW something that light and powerful.

after all the best pistol in the world is the one on your person.

for aching joints... a way to deliver prescription strength medication to your hands is with a combination of Aspercream and Hydrocortisone 2%.

Aspercream delivers locally aspirin (anti-inflammatory) Hydrocortisone is a steroid.

CY, I do not doubt you ability to practice the way you do with that "Babbit", I do hope your blessed with years an years of the ability before "ARTHUR-ITIS" creeps into those joints, no I'm not making fun of you, as I've already shot one of those with nothing more than +P, after two rounds my 50+yr old left hand hurt for a week afterwards, an I did no shooting that day after that!!

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
ya... know what you mean... for shooting .357 with a ultra light revolver can be a handful.
I stay away from painful loads. for instance .357 bulk ammo from Walmart are not fun to shoot. very painful ... 10 shots of that is all I care to shoot.

.357 loads that I favor are slightly stronger than +P. if your shots are not controllable then it's worthless. if you cannot put all five shots inside a pie plate at 10yds. it's time to move on to another load.

one huge advantage of a revolver vs auto pistol is ability to shoot exotic self defensive loads with having to shooting 200+ rounds to prove reliability.

you are right of course.... most folks are better off choosing steel J-frame in terms of control.
everything is a trade-off .. can you bear to CCW that much weight on your person.

for me putting up with recoil from a 12oz pistol along with extra range time is the price you pay to CCW something that light and powerful.

after all the best pistol in the world is the one on your person.

CY, Its only about 8 to maybe 10 extra oz's, and since I've always carried that much extra as a bug/primary I don't notice. The person who let me shoot their little atomic J-frame, also shot his ammo in my all steel J-frame. Two weeks later I walk into HL's an find him trading in his for an all steel model. I do have a form of CTS, but its with the Ulnar nerve, and shooting any handgun larger than .22lr can set it off sometimes. When I show pic's of my son an I shooting its more him shooting all day with me watching.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
yikes... 8-10 more oz in my front pocket???
my pet peeve is weight on my person.... it wears on me so odds are I'd want to cheat and not have it on me.

very comfortable with my EDC, 340PD CT packing .357 ... it's so easy to drop in pocket and be on your way.

CY, Its only about 8 to maybe 10 extra oz's, and since I've always carried that much extra as a bug/primary I don't notice. The person who let me shoot their little atomic J-frame, also shot his ammo in my all steel J-frame. Two weeks later I walk into HL's an find him trading in his for an all steel model. I do have a form of CTS, but its with the Ulnar nerve, and shooting any handgun larger than .22lr can set it off sometimes. When I show pic's of my son an I shooting its more him shooting all day with me watching.

1911Nut

Marksman
Reaction score
I have actually shot a few lightweight alloy revolvers in the past, and didn't bother me tbh... I had no problem shooting several rounds through them... I don't plan to make the 442 a go out to the range and shoot for fun gun... May put 20 rounds through it every few months just to stay familiar with it, but honestly don't feel it will be required...

Latest posts

Top Bottom