Revolver Question. 442 vs 642

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
yikes... 8-10 more oz in my front pocket???
my pet peeve is weight on my person.... it wears on me so odds are I'd want to cheat and not have it on me.

very comfortable with my EDC, 340PD CT packing .357 ... it's so easy to drop in pocket and be on your way.

Most of the time its carried OWB or IWB, even have a couple of inverted shoulder rigs for this. So not to many times in the pocket. Besides like I said, I do more watching now than shooting. I just passed all my .30 caliber rifles except my M1 Carbine over to my son, as my neck can't take the punishment.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
everyone is different .. just don't get along with OWB or IWB ... got a stack of J-frame holsters on my bench. certain ones works very well, but my pocket holster works the simplest. it's a custom pocket holster made by my buddy Al. ...under 1.5 second draw times.

for someone like yourself that's used to carrying a duty rig... any J-frame including steel would feel downright light.

here's two custom holsters by my buddy AL

first is pocket holster designed to not come out
rough side out, smooth inside. only mission is to hide outline and hold pistol in correct orientation for consistent 1.5 second draws

this has got to be world's BEST J-frame pocket holster!!!!!
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v186_o0pss_jholster.jpg

custom OWB leather holster, switches right or left sides.
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v186_o0pss_jholster2.jpg

Most of the time its carried OWB or IWB, even have a couple of inverted shoulder rigs for this. So not to many times in the pocket. Besides like I said, I do more watching now than shooting. I just passed all my .30 caliber rifles except my M1 Carbine over to my son, as my neck can't take the punishment.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Now this is just my opinion, an it is backed by facts. The airweights and the other small J-frame alloy guns will not be a fun gun to shoot alot. They have been known to crack at the bottom of the frame under the barrel. If that happens, you may be able to get new one from S&W. That won't happen forever. To get good with any handgun it takes practice, something your not really going to be able to do. Those little light weight guns hurt to shoot for very long.

My suggestion would be to get an all steel(blued or stainless) J-frame so you'll be able to get good at shooting her. A steel framed one can be carried just as easily as an alloy J-frame.

I've owned and carried both the 642 w/ lock and 442 w/ no lock. I prefer the 442 because the "black" gun is a little more concealable, in my opinion. But, ldp is correct. They are not fun to shoot or practice with so I don't practice with it as much as I should. And learning to effectively and rapdily reload takes a lot of practice. I currently have a 442 and it is great for pocket carry, easy and comfortable concealability but wished I had gone with a steel framed revolver instead. Consequently I almost always carry the G19.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
awww... man... 340PD is big time fun to shoot and practice with!!!!!!!!

getting tired of buying .38/.357 ammo ... just scored a .38/.357 change out kit and a few bullets for my Dillon 550 to get costs down

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v186_o0pss_3820changeout.jpg

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
everyone is different .. just don't get along with OWB or IWB ... got a stack of J-frame holsters on my bench. certain ones works very well, but my pocket holster works the simplest. it's a custom pocket holster made by my buddy Al. ...under 1.5 second draw times.

for someone like yourself that's used to carrying a duty rig... any J-frame including steel would feel downright light.

rough side out, smooth inside. only mission is to hide outline and hold pistol in correct orientation for consistent 1.5 second draws

Very nice rigs you got there!!!

I've owned and carried both the 642 w/ lock and 442 w/ no lock. I prefer the 442 because the "black" gun is a little more concealable, in my opinion. But, ldp is correct. They are not fun to shoot or practice with so I don't practice with it as much as I should. And learning to effectively and rapdily reload takes a lot of practice. I currently have a 442 and it is great for pocket carry, easy and comfortable concealability but wished I had gone with a steel framed revolver instead. Consequently I almost always carry the G19.

I did a vid of how to load/reload your revolver(Its more for us lefthanded folks). I do plan on doing a few more for the J-frame, an some of my semi-auto's.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

Galco IWB, Desantis OWB,
[Broken External Image]
Bianchi 3S for my 3" J-frame
ai151.photobucket.com_albums_s127_ldp4570_GUNS_S3000059.jpg

Don Hume French Curve Pocket holster
ai151.photobucket.com_albums_s127_ldp4570_GUNS_S3000012_2.jpg

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nice leather!

how does the Don Hume pocket holster perform?
got a pile of pocket holsters that worked well at first.

after doing a few weeks of EDC duties they all formed to 340PD
started coming with pistol out during practice draws. which of course is unacceptable.

after working with my Buddy AL, came to conclusion all my old holsters was designed to hold revolver securely. which along with looking pretty is not a requirement inside your pocket.

So AL custom fitted 340PD's holster to draw out with next to zero resistance. rough side out to help grab, smooth leather inside to insure low resistance coming out.

new holster's only duty is to conceal outline of revolver and hold 340PD in correct alignment for consistent draws under 1.5 seconds.

new holster has seen about 3 months of EDC duties on my person. If I've got pants on, 340PD has been inside my pocket. holster is now fully formed to 340PD... still performing like a champ with pistol coming out with almost zero resistance.

Al's got a winner design, but too bad he's not making any more for now. He's buried in orders for Cowboy Action Rigs.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v186_o0pss_340pd20holster.jpg

Don Hume French Curve Pocket holster
ai151.photobucket.com_albums_s127_ldp4570_GUNS_S3000012_2.jpg

Last edited:

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The Don Hume is designed to stay in the pocket, even though its smooth on the outside, via the small hook at the bottom. Holster it tight enough to keep the revolver secure so it doesn't fall out on its own(there are some out there where when you go to sit down the gun will fall out), it gives a full grip for the draw, an works well for puting in a coat poscket too. I have one of the Uncle Mikes, you just have to be careful when sitting down, as it will dump the gun.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am going to add a question to the discussion, what about the 638?

THIS

I personally prefer the Bodyguard series over the Centennials. I like the idea of single action possiblities in a pocket snag-proof package. And before anybody starts up with all the "well, ya know in a self-defense situation..." ********, let me explain. I live out in the sticks. Every now and then an opportunity arrises that might require a single action shot, like various critters and such. Instead of going back to the house to retrieve a .22 rifle or a scattergun, I just use my Jaybird that's already right there in my pocket with me.

The Bodyguard series is also helpfull in teaching a novice revolver shooter. You can fire a few rounds in single action mode, get used to the recoil (there's gonna be a little bit in the Airweights) and find your sights. After that is accomplished, you can then switch over to double action mode for the rest of your training.

But that's just me. :rolleyes2

Leighton has tried to convince me that an all steel Jaybird is stronger than one made of beer cans, and yeah, he's probably right. But, I'm not one to load my pockets down with a lot of crap. I had a model 649 all steel humpback once upon a time. I toted it DAILY for about a week or two, plenty of time for my kiester to become accustomed to it's weight, but I always felt that extra heft of just a few mere ounces in my front pocket. :disappoin

Finally after almost two weeks, I swapped out the 649 for my beloved model 38 Airweight Bodyguard. My ol' corpse said, "AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!" and I've been carrying it ever since.

The J frame wasn't meant to be a primary weapon. Oh sure, it's been dubbed the "Chief's Special" and many chiefs and dicks carried one as their primary but that was back in the day when we didn't have the stupid kids everywhere that'll kill you over a handfull of pocket change and a half a pack of cigarettes like they will today.

But, I'll go on to say that I too am guilty of pocket totin' just my ol' Bodyguard and not "holstering up" with a full size pistola in an IWB or OWB holster during this time of the year when it's a 157 degrees in the shade! :hot:

:sorry1:

Latest posts

Top Bottom