Revolver Question. 442 vs 642

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Now this is just my opinion, an it is backed by facts. The airweights and the other small J-frame alloy guns will not be a fun gun to shoot alot. They have been known to crack at the bottom of the frame under the barrel. If that happens, you may be able to get new one from S&W. That won't happen forever. To get good with any handgun it takes practice, something your not really going to be able to do. Those little light weight guns hurt to shoot for very long.

My suggestion would be to get an all steel(blued or stainless) J-frame so you'll be able to get good at shooting her. A steel framed one can be carried just as easily as an alloy J-frame.

I don't think so... a steel framed J may be easier to shoot follow up shots with, but it dang sure isn't as easy to carry as an AIRWEIGHT...the steelies make my pants sag like I'm either a very old gangsta or a fashion-challenged plumber.

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got the 642 and bought it for the stainless barrel and cylinder. That's how it's listed on the S&W website. It does have the Aluminum Alloy Frame.
The 442 is listed as a carbon steel barrel and cylinder with the Aluminum Alloy Frame.
My research, experience, and sources say these guns are made of different materials.

I will also attest to the gun falling out of your pocket with some pocket holsters. I have the desantis nemesis and with a loose fitting pair of shorts (big loose pocket) and a reclining patio chair it slipped right out and bounced off the concrete.

Nope, same gun, different finishes. Neither is stainless or blued; both are alloy-frames and the finish on both the 442 and 642 is a laquer-type job down at the factory.

jamesfpop

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
it slipped right out and bounced off the concrete.

Ouch!
Thanks for the intell. on the differences between the 642vs442. The other j-Frames I was leaning toward were the 638/438, MP340, and the Model 40.

My wife will have to ultimately decide, but my recommendation based on good advice is where she will likely land.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got the 642 and bought it for the stainless barrel and cylinder. That's how it's listed on the S&W website. It does have the Aluminum Alloy Frame.
The 442 is listed as a carbon steel barrel and cylinder with the Aluminum Alloy Frame.
My research, experience, and sources say these guns are made of different materials.

I will also attest to the gun falling out of your pocket with some pocket holsters. I have the desantis nemesis and with a loose fitting pair of shorts (big loose pocket) and a reclining patio chair it slipped right out and bounced off the concrete.

Ouch on me too! Dang, thanks for the correction tul9033. My bad; but you are right! the 642 has a stainless cyl and the 442 is carbon steel cyl. Guess I ain't too old to learn; just too old. Sorry.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Model 40?

Man oh man, how I'd love one of those in nickel. :naughty:

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v137_allglock_100_4587.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v137_allglock_100_4598.jpg

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You may also want to consider the Ruger LCR w/CT grips. The grip is a bit longer than a 442/642 and I've heard they shoot just a little softer too.

I'm not slamming S&Ws, by any means. I just bought a Model 38 Bodyguard Airweight to serve as my BUG.

[Broken External Image]

But the LCR, especially the 357 version, is still high on my list of "must-have" guns.

Latest posts

Top Bottom