Right to shoot a dog?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tulsajj

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have two incidents that involve dogs:

I live in city limits; I have a neighbor that has 2 large aggressive German Shepard’s that get out some time. If I have my CC license and a weapon, would it be legal for me to have shoot this dog in my yard if I feel threaten?

Another incident that happened to me, walking on sidewalk next to neighborhood park pulling my daughter in her wagon. Some guy had a large pit-bull off the leash. The dog starting sprinting towards my daughter and me, my daughter was belted into the wagon so I didn't have time to pull her out so I just got between her and the dog. Once the dog came w/ in three feet it just strayed away and went a different direction. If I had my CC license and weapon, would it be legal for me to have shot that dog?

Thanks for the info.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In both of those scenarios, I would have shot the dog.

ANYTIME you feel threatened - by man or beast - shoot until the action stops.

But that's just me. :rolleyes2

I know you tried to make it as a "no shoot" on the second one, but if the dog has already broke the plane on the "21 feet rule" he's toast.

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
In both of those scenarios, I would have shot the dog.

ANYTIME you feel threatened - by man or beast - shoot until the action stops.

But that's just me. :rolleyes2

I know you tried to make it as a "no shoot" on the second one, but if the dog has already broke the plane on the "21 feet rule" he's toast.

+1,I will not allow a dog to harm me or mine. Steve

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have two incidents that involve dogs:

Once the dog came w/ in three feet it just strayed away and went a different direction. If I had my CC license and weapon, would it be legal for me to have shot that dog?

Thanks for the info.

WAAAAAAY to close,I would've shot it. Steve

I should qualify that,I would have been screaming at the owner to get his dog or I would shoot.3' is too close for a potentially dangerous animal to be.

azmrb

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
BTW,this a much more likely scenario you could encounter than some bad guy trying to harm you. Steve
The original reason I applied for my CCW permit is because I came close to being attacked on several occasions by loose dogs in the street while on my walks.

A big rotweiller got my attention, but it was a loose pit bull that put the fear in me.

Another guy in my neighborhood carries a golf club over his shoulder to deal with stray dogs.
I carry a .38 instead.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some dogs are dangerous and some are protecting their territory. They pretty go thru the same motions and it is hard for humans to tell the difference.

i would hate to kill a good man's dog becaue he got out.

on the other hand, a guy that does not care about his dog and the dog is out all the time, and is agressive??

but after watching the dog whisper multiple times and employing his method-when a dog comes at you or is in attack mode - you can take on a stance of condifence, raise your hand, palm out, and say 'stop' in an authorative voice. man do they stop. we walk every nite and have done this a bunch over the years. my wife is especially good at it. she can stop those big dogs in their tracks.

now, if two or more dogs are coming at you, they get the pack attitude and they can get out of hand.

T-Baggin98

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good thing you didnt but I probably would have shot the pit. I unfortunatly deal with dogs every day at work. Plus Ive had to take several classes on dog behavior so I have a better understanding of what they might do and why. Either way it can be a bad situation. Theres no single dog I cant handle, its usually when theres 2 or more when the situation gets worse. You would be surprised what a hard hat will do when you kiss a dog in the mouth with it though:selfangel.

Latest posts

Top Bottom