Rock Island Armory 1911's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HackerF15E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's my understanding that there are some RIA parts that are not strictly standard 1911 parts. I'd love to be wrong on that.

Everything in the RIA GI model is standard....in fact, it's closer to the "1911A1" standard than anything with a Swarz safety or the Massachusetts/California-safe internals of a Springfield. I'll refer you back to the photos I posted earlier comparing the RIA to a Springfield that was converted to GI standard (ILS mainspring and all the weird-weight springs swapped back to standard), and you can check for yourself (http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/showthread.php?t=414414).

The compact models use a bull barrel without a bushing, but are otherwise completely standard, too.

cbickle

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
RIA also makes the Citadel 1911's. I have the 3.5" Citadel M1911 and I love it. Never had a problem with FMJ or hollow points. I have only fed hollow points manually and fired about 300 rounds of FMJ, but still no problem. Everyone who has shot it has loved it/bought one themselves. Unless you are wanting a GI, the Citadels come with the skeletonized trigger/hammer, slanded slide serrations and upward beavertail safety. And for about the same price as the RIA's :)

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't know why you guys are saying the factory mags are junk, I never had a single malfunction with mine and I ended up ordering two more of the ACT-Mags, all functioned flawlessly. Can't really see how you could screw up a 1911 mag. I still regret selling my RIA...At least it went to a good home. I'll definately be buying another one soon, probably a tactical just for it's improved sights. Thats the only thing I didnt like about mine.

The most finicky part of a 1911 is the magazine in many cases and lots of issues can occur by having a bad one. That being said my factory magazine has functioned extremely well BUT I initially had problems with the first round nose diving into the frame when I racked the slide (even with the sling shot method). I bought better mags for peace of mind.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The factory mag that mine came with was nothing but Junk. It would FTF at least once on every full mag. Put in a Wilson 47D and could not get the thing to malfunction in any way.

HackerF15E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My RIA came with a Novak mag that works perfectly in the RIA, but when I use it in my Colt or Springfield it consistently has a nose-over FTF.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't know why you guys are saying the factory mags are junk, I never had a single malfunction with mine and I ended up ordering two more of the ACT-Mags, all functioned flawlessly. Can't really see how you could screw up a 1911 mag. I still regret selling my RIA...At least it went to a good home. I'll definately be buying another one soon, probably a tactical just for it's improved sights. Thats the only thing I didnt like about mine.
If there is a more magazine sensitive gun than a 1911 in .45 ACP, I've yet to see it--except of course for the 9mm 1911. My RIA GI in 9mm runs good with Metalform mags (except it won't feed 147 grn rds from that one), but it didn't run well at all with the original Checkmate mag. My Kimber Warrior often choked when using either Colt 7 rd mags or McCormack 10 rounders, but ran like a champ with KimPro Tac mags in the 8 round configuration.

TCummings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I had Tommy at SSA put the RIA 1911 Match on order for me today. I have to admit I was impressed with the specs and the price especially since it is on sale this month.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
@mightymouse I got a few kimpro mags for a steal on black friday and those are what I use now.

@TCummings how much did that run you?

Latest posts

Top Bottom