Ruger MKIII 22/45 .. what a PITA putting back together!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
now I understand why everyone says to stay away from MKIII's.

does anyone know of any other pistol that's more of a pain to put back together? what were the engineers at Ruger thinking when they came up with this design?

djsmithinvesting

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
now I understand why everyone says to stay away from MKIII's.

does anyone know of any other pistol that's more of a pain to put back together? what were the engineers at Ruger thinking when they came up with this design?

When bill ruger came up with that gun in the 50s, he was thinking of making a damned fine 22. And I would say he succeeded.

As to the PITA, yeah, but after you do it once your set for life.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
bill ruger came up with the Ruger MKI design, which along with MKII is not that big a deal to put back together.

ruger MKIII 22/45 has indent ball on safety that comes apart, all while trying to align up multiple points getting hammer assembly.. the magazine safety mechanism makes this process even more fun...

as a matter of fact... after 3 hours of trying... still don't have mine back together :crying:

original reason for taking apart was to do a trigger job... just finished stoning all internal parts.... what a hunk of junk!

When bill ruger came up with that gun in the 50s, he was thinking of making a damned fine 22. And I would say he succeeded.

As to the PITA, yeah, but after you do it once your set for life.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK.. finally got 22/45 MKIII back together and working.
what a PITA!

good news is trigger is down to 2lb 12oz from 5lb. action is much smoother.
normally I'd be taking down multiple more times to smooth out action and sear further. but no way on this one... it's getting left alone for awhile...

z06man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Congrats on getting yours back apart yourself. After my first try at reassembly, I had to take mine to a gunsmith to finish the job. I got things stuck really good. Fortunately I found out later that I wasn't quite as incompetent as I felt, that there is a "trick" to it and many before me have had the same problem.

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Years ago I had a MK II, the breakdown was moderately difficult, but do-able. Ended up trading it and cash for another pistol. About 3 years ago, got the .22LR pistol bug again and bought a MK III. Of course I had to strip it down- Ended up needing the tutorial/ pictorial from rimfirecentral.com (? IIRC).

Agreed, PITA. I clean this one by pulling the grip panels and using a little plastic brush with spray brake cleaner.

Latest posts

Top Bottom