Ruger MKIII 22/45 .. what a PITA putting back together!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have 2 mk ii's & a mark iii all standard frame, mk 2's are not too bad, gield strip is easy after 10,000 rds the new mark iii I have to use a mallet to fiels strip, time to put 3 or 4 bulk packs through it. Also the magazine in magazine out during take down trows me really use to the mkii

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK.. finally got 22/45 MKIII back together and working.
what a PITA!

good news is trigger is down to 2lb 12oz from 5lb. action is much smoother.
normally I'd be taking down multiple more times to smooth out action and sear further. but no way on this one... it's getting left alone for awhile...

I'll be glad to rid you of that PITA and won't even charge you for it. You'll never have to worry about putting it back together again.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
ahhhhh... feel better now knowing I'm not alone with the MKIII 22/45 experience. :explode:

reassembly fun is compounded by magazine safety. finding out after market bushings available to delete mag safety. mag safety adds complexity with little gain... going backwards to me

I have two of the MKIII 22/45's. Tore one down, won't do it again. Now its carbon cleaner, pipe cleaners, dentist tools, both guns runs great!!!

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
happiness in Rugerland again... went back in and removed the magazine safety. had to use three washers to maintain original spacing.

with safety removed MKIII essentially becomes a MKII in function and teardown.

here's the offending parts
[Broken External Image]

top washer was too big in this pic... got in the way of sear
[Broken External Image]

smaller top washer in this pic .. had to ream out washer hole to match bushing.
[Broken External Image]

csmith441

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just saw this thread....... I bought a new MKII 22/45 a couple weeks ago, shot a couple hundred rounds through it, and tore it down..... It is still tore apart form two weeks ago!! LOL I really thought I was losing my mind why I couldn't get this thing back togethor. I feel a whole lot better reading the frustration that everyone else is having!!!

jeffsoward

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
HAHAHA!

I did the same thing the first time around. I tore the thing down and tore the hammer and trigger assembly out of it. After several hours of staring the parts down and figuring out how they work together, it went back into place and now I can do it on command.
It gets easier. I can pull mine apart on the fly to quick clean it.

Just remember, be the ball.

Latest posts

Top Bottom