Rules for private FTF sales

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My very first FTF since Ive lived in Oklahoma 3 years ago I had the guy show me his ID and had a handwritten piece of paper with all of the guns info on it for him to sign when I sold him the pistol.He looked at me like I was crazy.Since then,besides doing deals with my shooting buddies who I know personally and at gun shows or online sales or new sales at stores,I have met almost all of my latest contacts thru here and havent asked for or shown anything to each other.I also havent done a deal with an OSA member where I havent felt right about it.Except for that one guy who tossed me the money thru the window and grabbed the gun and drove off...

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. So just to verify - no different rules for handguns than for long guns in private sales?

Also, can someone explain exactly what items require a tax stamp? Is this for ARs? It'd be great if someone could go over specific rules for what exactly cannot be sold privately without paperwork. I don't want to try to buy a black .22 with a 25 round magazine through the classifieds and end up having the feds swoop in, arrest me, and confiscate my unlicensed "assault rifle." :uhh:

no worries man,is this a great state or what?! i would also say that if the seller is on osa,they're good people

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought the requirement they be a resident of Oklahoma was changed with a bill just recently passed. IIRC and I could def be wrong it was the same bill that opened up other States for okies to purchase from.

Wrong, wrong wrong!
We are talking about private sales, and that must be done by residents of the same state, per the 1968 Gun Control Act. (Federal Law).

(B1) To whom may an unlicensed person transfer firearms under the GCA? [Back]

A person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his State, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may loan or rent a firearm to a resident of any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may sell or transfer a firearm to a licensee in any State. However, a firearm other than a curio or relic may not be transferred interstate to a licensed collector.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(d), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

We can buy long guns from an FFL in other states, not from a private individual.

(B2) From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA? [Back]

A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee's premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b1

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You should always "CYA" with a receipt with the other persons info.
With all this gunrunning nonsense in the news.
If you private sale to an individual from another state without verifing they are an Ok. resident.
You could wind up on the 6 o'clock news.
18 years for rifle & shotgun or
21 years old for handguns and an Okla. resident.
It's been the law since 1968

Latest posts

Top Bottom