S&W 342PD vs 337PD

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
New to revolvers... been lugging around a Wather PPK .380 for quite sometime. very compact, but gets a bit heavy for all day CCW.

been torn between hidden vs exposed hammer.

decided on finding a 342PD, but didn't have much luck. did find a new 340PD, but wanted the lighter early titanium versions. And didn't have any desire to shoot a .357 from a feather weight gun.

so when this 337PD with Crimson Trace came up... jumped all over it.
weights an amazing 11.1 oz with Crimson Trace which adds a bit over 1/2 oz over stock grips.

this 337PD is one SWEET concealed carry!!!!

headed out to the Sand Springs gun range, so needed some ammo.
arrrrrrggggg.... found out .38 is either $1 per round at gun shops or out most everywhere else.

had to shoot my new gun... so used the cheapest +P ammo I could find. $23 for 20 rounds.... arrrrgggg.

the good news is 337PD with +P shoots great! with crimson trace sights, was able to put together nice groups right off the bat.

the bad news was the horrible groups using double action. got loads more practice coming... now if I can just find some reasonably price .38 ammo.

ahome.tulsaconnect.com_toug_cpf_337pd2.JPG

ahome.tulsaconnect.com_toug_cpf_337pd.JPG

ahome.tulsaconnect.com_toug_cpf_337pd3.JPG

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
many thanks... long gone... been chasing walmarts for .38 and still not connected yet.

did purchase 1,000 158grn bullets last night for reloading. but no one has small primers in stock. got a few hundred small primers squirreled away to get me by until hopefully things will ease up.

been practicing dry firing in double action mode. seeing much improvement in staying on target. easy to verify point of impact with crimson trace laser.

Wal-Mart in Bixby had several 100 ct boxes of 38 special Monday evening.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
been practicing dry firing in double action mode. seeing much improvement in staying on target. easy to verify point of impact with crimson trace laser.

Little piece of advice on your dryfiring practice. This will work with your short barrel gun too. Place a dime, laying flat, on top of your gun, and then practice your dryfire routines till you can keep the coin on top while your dryfiring at speed. Since your barrel is so short the coin will have to go on top of the frame. Once you can do this everytime you dryfire, you will be amazed at you improvement on the range during livefire.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Little piece of advice on your dryfiring practice. This will work with your short barrel gun too. Place a dime, laying flat, on top of your gun, and then practice your dryfire routines till you can keep the coin on top while your dryfiring at speed. Since your barrel is so short the coin will have to go on top of the frame. Once you can do this everytime you dryfire, you will be amazed at you improvement on the range during livefire.

Have you tried this with the Airweights? It's all but impossible! I can do that with every other revolver we've ever had, but my wife's 642 still baffles me. Funny thing is, I can shoot it decently though.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Have you tried this with the Airweights? It's all but impossible! I can do that with every other revolver we've ever had, but my wife's 642 still baffles me. Funny thing is, I can shoot it decently though.

Perfect practice makes perfect!! Yes it will work, just takes more time. I have done it with an airweight, just to show a class I was teaching it could be done. I taught firearm courses for a couple of security companies back in Georgia where the only thing allowed was a revolver. All I can say is that everyone who graduated my class could shoot and hitwhat they were shooting at. Most of them hated my basic training drills, and dryfiring till they got to the range. Then it was wow, so thats why you made us do that??!!

By the way, its not just the airweights, its tough with all J-frames due to the coilspring mainspring. They are all a bi&ch to learn that way.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

Since the J-frames use a coil spring instead of the flat as found in the larger S&W revolvers, it takes more of an effort to get a proper pull through due to the weight of spring pressure. Constant practice of dryfire with the J-frame will build up the muscles controlling the trigger finger, and the grip. Once you have learned/muscle memory of the J-frame trigger, and go back to the larger frame S&W's you'll really notice how smooth the trigger will feel on these. I do alot more dryfiring practice with my J-frames than my K or larger N frame guns.

Latest posts

Top Bottom