Savage Axis 223 bolt action to lock up in closed position

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crapsguy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone know what may cause my Savage Axis 223 bolt action to lock up in closed position = bolt down and won't come up. I shot a couple rounds and the bolt was stuck/locked in place. Thinking it must have something to do with the ejector area - nothing provided a hint that something was coming loose, etc. safety is off and empty case in chamber.
contacted Savage and waiting for a reply but thought someone here may have had the same experience
thanks for any ideas

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Reloads? I forgot and loaded some military 7.62x51 brass and used commercial 308 load data forgetting the smaller case capacity and had to beat the bolt open.

crapsguy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone know what may cause my Savage Axis 223 bolt action to lock up in closed position = bolt down and won't come up. I shot a couple rounds and the bolt was stuck/locked in place. Thinking it must have something to do with the ejector area - nothing provided a hint that something was coming loose, etc. safety is off and empty case in chamber.
contacted Savage and waiting for a reply but thought someone here may have had the same experience
thanks for any ideas
FYI = I took this rifle to a gunsmith/friend and it was apparently a case of
SEE = an unexplained pressure excursion which has often blown up guns. "It is associated with markedly reduced loads of very slow powders"
although I was using same load of H335 = same powder, bullet, etc I have used for 1000s of rounds -- and the bullet hit the target as expected????
from what I understand this is very rare and nearly impossible to duplicate

I would post a link for some info if I knew how
search for Secondary Explosion Effect (SEE) if you are interested
the only sign of damage was the primer pocket was blown out to the size of a large primer and the original primer/metal was gone -- after forcing the bolt up and out of battery the rifle seems to be fully functional and fine
go figure..........

Latest posts

Top Bottom