Savage FV SR

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pak-40

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I decided to get a Savage FVSR as a supressor host and order one of the Boyds Tacticool Stocks.

I was super excited to FINALLY get my tacticool stock last Thursday. It was backordered for about 2 weeks. I already had the DIP base and trigger guard so I was good to go.

I went to the range Sunday to run it thru its paces and I was playing with the torque on the action screws. I was at 20F and 12R and my groups were getting tighter. I went to 22in/lb on the front screw and I heard a terrible CRACK. Weird thing is, it cracked in one of the thickest places on the stock. I'm wondering if the glue for the laminate was faulty as the crack is VERY straight.

I must say, I found this stock to be pretty cheaply made. The wood is VERY soft. I, myself, definitely would not recommend them.

Boyds issued a call tag for the stock and is replacing it. I went with their Rimfire hunter instead as it is made of a harder wood.
...no "hard wood" jokes please!

Here are some pics.

i205.photobucket.com_albums_bb81_pak_40_IMG_9154.jpg

i205.photobucket.com_albums_bb81_pak_40_IMG_9153.jpg

i205.photobucket.com_albums_bb81_pak_40_IMG_9150.jpg

i205.photobucket.com_albums_bb81_pak_40_IMG_9148.jpg

i205.photobucket.com_albums_bb81_pak_40_IMG_9147.jpg

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Next month I am going to pick up a bolt action to host my Sparrow. I've been pretty set on the CZ 455 American (threaded), but I've also looked at the Savage FV SR. Any pro/cons to each? The price is nice on the Savage and I like the base. On the other hand, the CZ feels like a premium gun.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got my replacement stock from Boyds replace the tacticool that cracked. I went with the Rimfire Hunter. I sanded it and sprayed it. Here is the finished product.

i205.photobucket.com_albums_bb81_pak_40_013.jpg

Looks great! Do you find you still need the stock pack to get a good cheek weld with the scope? I was hoping to eliminate the need for it?

I wonder why Boyd's doesn't offer the Tacticool stock in laminate?

pak-40

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The cheek weld is great with the rimfire hunter. It has a nice, wide forend too. I just wanted a stock pouch to keep my magazines in. It does have the extra bonus though of having leather on the "cheek" side which is more comfortable than wood. The Rimfire hunter is a MUCH nicer stock than the tacticool. BTW...the folded dollar bill is how far back the barrel is floating.

The tacticool is laminated wood, but for some reason, they use a MUCH softer wood than on their other stocks. Honestly, I found the tacticool a piece of crap. I could easily dig into the wood with my thumbnail. TOO SOFT!

Chard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Next month I am going to pick up a bolt action to host my Sparrow. I've been pretty set on the CZ 455 American (threaded), but I've also looked at the Savage FV SR. Any pro/cons to each? The price is nice on the Savage and I like the base. On the other hand, the CZ feels like a premium gun.

I picked up one of the CZ 452 TB American a couple of years ago. Very accurate, feels like a high quality weapon that it is. No need to upgrade the stock, trigger or anything else. The 455 should be just as good.

[Broken External Image]

Latest posts

Top Bottom