Saw my first open carry yesterday...Why?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tranger2

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was in a business on the south side of OKC yesterday morning when I saw a man (customer, not business owner) wearing a long un-tucked shirt with the shirt pulled up on one side and his pistol exposed. I first thought his shirt rode up or he didn't realize it was exposed until I saw him four hours later when I went back in the same fashion.

It made me think, why does he carry open?

1. Is he hoping for a deterrent effect? No one will attempt anything around him because he's armed?
2. Does he like the attention? the stares and whispers because it's still not a normal sight?
3. Because its his right to do so and he does it proudly?

I have seen business owner's carry and know it is for a deterrent effect. I'm not trying to bash this guy, I really would like to know. I should have talked to him. Anyone here open carry and give me positive reasons. I carry about 80% of the time and have always felt concealed was right for me.

tranger2

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Seriously, my initial thought as I was standing behind him is that I would bust him in the back of the head first, if I were going to rob the place. That's what got me to thinking about this....

leemozoid

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Because he can? I am no proponent of open carry. I agree that just because it's legal doesn't mean it's smart. I prefer concealed and off the radar rather than attracting unnecessary attention.

Gideon

Formerly SirROFL
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Seriously, my initial thought as I was standing behind him is that I would bust him in the back of the head first, if I were going to rob the place. That's what got me to thinking about this....

But if you were unaware he were armed, the criminal version of you in your head would have left him alone?

If there's any good reason to open carry, it's to get people used to the sight of seeing firearms in public so they don't start having strange thoughts when they see one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom