Saw my first open carry yesterday...Why?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm pro-open carry although it's not something I would do most of time, I'm in the "best to keep your ace hidden" club, but if someone wants to carry open that's cool with me. It's good to know you've got someone in your general area who's armed and not a thug. I can see certain situations such as private gatherings or being in the "country" where open carry would be preferable, I guess it's just personal taste.

I think I've seen one person, outside the rallies held at the capital, open carrying. It does seem strange that for something that the anti's predicted would turn Oklahoma into the OK corral, it's such a non-issue most people don't even think about it anymore. One of my concerns about carrying open is gun security. At the gun rallies I saw most people carrying in very basic holsters with little to know retention. Having been to Mexico and seeing first hand how easily they can and will create a slight distraction, bumping into you, then disappear into the crowd only for you to find out your wallet and anything in your pockets have been snatched. I keep thinking how easy it would be, for even a beginner thief, to walk up beside someone, create a small distraction, snatch your handgun and be gone before you even realized what happened. If I were to carry openly in public it would definitely be in a very good retention holster. (Got off subject, sorry OP)

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have only seen a few OC, but those have all been the type the TV reporters always seem to find for interviews. Not the ones we want to be our spokespeople for our support!

DeerAssassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seeing that you are from southeast oklahoma, do you open carry? I'm not talking about while out hunting, driving around, etc.

Do you carry into stores, restaurants, and other places where there are lots of people?

I'm from Antlers, Oklahoma and was back home a couple of weeks ago. I have yet to see anyone open carry down there also.

I don't personally have a carry permit yet. When I can finally find a class that fits into my work schedule, I will open carry because I find it more comfortable. I have yet to see anyone open carry around the Poteau area. I have only saw one person open carry in my many travels across the state. Can't remember where.

bpsooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like to wear mine owb, just for the comfort. I always wear a long shirt to cover. That way I feel like it is concealed but cannot get in trouble with the law if part of it shows. I did not like that part of the conceal carry law

owu1bag5

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I open carry almost every day. Very seldom do I conceal my weapon anymore. Why? Because it is more comfortable. I have only been approached twice about my weapon being visible, both were positive experiences.

TSQUARE

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have seen two to date, both were at a gun store when I saw it. The first one was using a non form fitting generic nylon holster with a Beretta PX, buying a SERPA retention holster. The second was carrying a G30 in a SERPA. At least each person had the right frame of mind to get a good retention holster. I personally choose not to open carry, but my scrawny rear can hardly conceal an LCP in OWB without printing, but I can carry a full size G17 IWB and never print.

tranger2

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We still have a long way to go when 2A supporters are questioning their own for exercising our rights.

Really? Like this has been a right you have had your entire life. You've only been able to exercise this right for less than a year or so. Your butt would have been in jail couple of years ago if you did this. Like it or not.

Don't hijack my post! I never questioned or said anything about rights. Go reread my post. I am asking people who do open carry to have a conversation with me to discuss the reasons they do. This is how reasonable people communicate...they ask questions in a respectable manner and exchange ideas. I never questioned his "right" to carry, just the motive. I think it's a fair question.

Please get this back on topic...

Latest posts

Top Bottom