Saw my first open carry yesterday...Why?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow, you made one of the points originally questioned. Is he an attention whore? Are you? If you like the feeling of people looking at you because of what you're doing, or the way you're dressed, or the way you act, you're an attention whore.

Do you open carry?

That's what I want to know, truthfully, do YOU OPEN CARRY? If so, why?
Are you an attention whore?
Do you believe you are a deterrent to stop crime?
Are you just exhibiting a right in order to bring attention to it so it becomes a normal sight?

Since you don't know me and are making assumptions, I will correct you and tell you I did not think he was an attention whore. If he was being loud and obnoxious in his words and actions, I would have thought he was an attention whore. My first thought was "wow, I wouldn't do that because I would hate to become a target." Hence, my question to others for input and enlightenment.

I don't think I've been disrespectful in my question. I didn't say the guy didn't have a right. I didn't say I have to approve what he did. I asked a question....a legitimate question. If we can't have a dialogue on a gun sight, how in the hell do we have a dialogue with the people who don't agree with us.

You made the conversation about the guy, and even now you still frame the conversation about him. As it stands it still looks like you have disdain for this person you saw OCing, rather than discussing the act of OCing itself.
If it's not really your intent to frame in the context of a negative reaction to this individual then I would make it a lot more generic "What are the benefits for OCing?" rather than "I saw someone OCing. What would make him want to do that? What does he get out of it?"

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I live in a very small town. Everybody that knows me knows I carry, whether open or concealed. It's no big deal to me one way or the other. Like I said in the first reply to your question, my reason is quicker access to the gun, less chance of fumbling with a shirttail. If you'll remember your history, John Wesley Hardin was captured without gunplay because his gun got hung up in his suspenders as he tried to draw. While he was an outlaw and I am not, I still don't want to be caught in that situation.

tranger2

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I live in a very small town. Everybody that knows me knows I carry, whether open or concealed. It's no big deal to me one way or the other. Like I said in the first reply to your question, my reason is quicker access to the gun, less chance of fumbling with a shirttail. If you'll remember your history, John Wesley Hardin was captured without gunplay because his gun got hung up in his suspenders as he tried to draw. While he was an outlaw and I am not, I still don't want to be caught in that situation.

Thank you for a reasonable response. (Tell Kris Jones I said hello)
mike

tranger2

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You made the conversation about the guy, and even now you still frame the conversation about him. As it stands it still looks like you have disdain for this person you saw OCing, rather than discussing the act of OCing itself.
If it's not really your intent to frame in the context of a negative reaction to this individual then I would make it a lot more generic "What are the benefits for OCing?" rather than "I saw someone OCing. What would make him want to do that? What does he get out of it?"

It is generic. I didn't mention anyone by name, I didn't mention the business, very generic. Unless it was you, you have no idea of the identity of the person. This is NOT personal. To say I have DISDAIN for a person is unreasonable. If I said "I saw a dumbsh!t today, would be disdain.

I brought up an event (with no personal details) and asked a fair question. I am starting to get responses back from people who have personal experience, which is what I was looking for. Thank you. And thank those for the private messages.

Let's do it this way. I have a generic question....OC or CC? (and I hope no one makes the mistake to put anything else but a generic question on a bulletin board in order not to be taken wrong....)

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you haven't OC'd, you should give it a try. It's much more comfortable and convenient, especially when carrying full size. I'm not kidding anyone trying to cover up my Beretta.

Cowboy2000

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If a person carries open, is licensed by osbi, and in a proper setting, I don't care. Personally, I'm surprised I don't see more open carries among the general public since the law has been changed. If a man or woman is legal to carry open, go ahead. It's legal and it's one of the most important reasons oklahoma is a great state for law abiding gun owners. I'm not interested in policing people if I don't have to.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sometimes after I get outta the shower in the evening I'll strap on my holster and stand in front of the mirror and practice my open carry stance. Pics later.

Latest posts

Top Bottom